Need Programmers for a FPSRTSMMO

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Daystar

Need Programmers for a FPSRTSMMO

Post by Daystar »

Hello All, I am working on a FPSRTSMMO that takes place in the year 2030. I have a post on gamedev.net if you want to get more info and my contact info is on there too:http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=503649

Heres the concept view for the FPS view:

DayStar
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

A "futuristic first person shooter real time strategy massive multiplayer online"? Pfft, surely it's a "puzzle brawler simulation" as well?

It's great to see a project that's aiming for commercial release, especially one with a 'budget' in excess of $3 million (admittedly all invested by the contributors).

Can I have a copy of your standard contract, please, particularly the parts that deal with royalty rates, content ownership and rights assignment?
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Daystar

Post by Daystar »

rogerborg wrote:A "futuristic first person shooter real time strategy massive multiplayer online"? Pfft, surely it's a "puzzle brawler simulation" as well?

It's great to see a project that's aiming for commercial release, especially one with a 'budget' in excess of $3 million (admittedly all invested by the contributors).

Can I have a copy of your standard contract, please, particularly the parts that deal with royalty rates, content ownership and rights assignment?
Well we don't exactly have a budget or our paperwork completed being that I myself is still working on the LLC Licensing paperwork but I'm not planing on going through the license phase until we have a completed product.
DayStar
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Ah, right, so I and twenty other people gift you three years of our lives, then you'll decide how much you might pay us after another year?

I'm finding it hard to believe that you are really serious about running a 21-person "commercial" project. Commerce generally involves a two-way flow of value. Perhaps we are using different lexicons?
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Do you have a website?

Just wondering.

Thanks.
Daystar

Post by Daystar »

Well its syncwaretech.com but I'm still working on it and one of my teammates are working on the actual site now. The links don't work yet because I just started working on this site so hopefully by the weekend I'll have some more info up.
DayStar
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
hahahahhahah
bwahahahahhah
HAHAHAHAH
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhahahaha
HA!
ahahah
and so on and so forth...
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

Daystar - Welcome to the real world.
JP

Post by JP »

Yeah, Daystar, i suggest you come back when you've got your project fully planned out. People really aren't gonna dive into your project when they don't have a contract for it.

It's great that you've got a cool idea and such big aspirations but there's more to such a big project than "Hay guyz, pr0gr@m f0r m3???"
Image Image Image
Taymo

Post by Taymo »

Geeezzz man? How much experience do you have in the video game industry? Also how much experience as a team leader? Just remember that there are TONS of FPSs and TONS of RTSs and TONs of MMOs.. so you've got some competition if you're game is all those in one.

Really, I'm just humoring you. As some of the most experienced individuals on this site have commented, your plan sounds like a bad, bad post-mortem in the making. None of us like being negative about people's ideas, but you'll need to show some serious evidence that you can get such a monumental project done.

Why not make a game everyone hasn't played? A-La http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... p?t=30196l
Ride the Spiral Development:
spiralride.blogspot.com
FreakNigh

Post by FreakNigh »

The only person a good programmer might stop to seriously help, is a good graphics guy. If you can't do either, your not going to have a game that's guaranteed.

CvIrrCamController - 3D head tracking lib to create window effect with webcam
IrrAR - Attach Irrlicht nodes to real life markers
http://www.nighsoft.com/
Daystar

Post by Daystar »

Well I respect you guys opinion.
DayStar
Daystar

Post by Daystar »

I should have a sample demo done soon.
DayStar
stevend

Post by stevend »

I should have a sample demo done soon.
sweet, cant wait to try it. I am not sure how experianced you are with C++ so ill try give you some basic pointers.. here are a few tips:

i would first start with the FPS aspect of the game. Getting a level editor done and creating your own object factory that can save and serialize is more work that one will originally think (I am recoding my project for the 4th time starting yesterday! :roll: ). Then you will need and AI system, so you can create way points, and a field of vision etc. Search for irrAI.

After that, I would integrate some RTS aspects into your game using your preexisting fps engine.

When you single player FPSRTS is finished, in my theoretical FPSRTSMMO I would then code a server in my language of choice, and add in the networking layer. There are many nice ones around, do a search.

You will have to learn how to do some serious network coding, to reduce latency, and other issues of MMOs.

After all that, if you not 35, and you still have all your hair, "Yur red tago"

IMO
FreakNigh

Post by FreakNigh »

I'd say focus on completing the easiest version of your game possible, no matter how easy, then expand on that because finishing something is alot harder then adding in new things (and way the f' more important).

CvIrrCamController - 3D head tracking lib to create window effect with webcam
IrrAR - Attach Irrlicht nodes to real life markers
http://www.nighsoft.com/