Setting up Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition correctly

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Irrlichtproduction

Setting up Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition correctly

Post by Irrlichtproduction »

I went to the topic "The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) [Updated Jan 2008]" and saw that Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition could be used, downloaded and installed it. Then went to the guide for setting it up for Irrlicht mentioned later in the post (and below)
If you use a different IDE or want to set up your own project, these tutorials will help:

Microsoft Visual C++:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut001.html
But when I tried it, it looked different, like an older version, and the directions didn't seem to apply. Is there a guide for setting up Irrlight with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

We have the tuts for VS 7.1, but it shouldn't be too hard to do the same steps for VS 2008. You have to do the same things, just the buttons might be named slightly different. Or just use one of the provided project files and change it to your needs, even simpler.
Irrlichtproduction

I tried just using one of the examples but worried that I had not yet linked the irrlicht.dll to the building program, but figured it would be configured to do so when I built one of the examples. I went and built example 1 and received this error message

Code: Select all

1>------ Build started: Project: 01.HelloWorld, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>Project : error PRJ0003 : Error spawning 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\cl.exe'.
I would really like to know how to setup the current version, the tutorial is for v7 and now it's v9 and doesn't seem to have the same configuration. (
I've searched the help files and looked all around the only options menu I could find for the directories or include spaces the writer talked about.)
jddevnet

Post by jddevnet »

So long as you have configured the settings listed in the tutorial (menus are different in VS2008, but settings are the same), you only need to move the irrlicht dll into the folder your code is in. At least, this has worked for me. I'm sure you can set up a path to it however I haven't looked that far yet....
Irrlichtproduction

That's it, I can't find the places in the settings to set it up, because the menu's are different. when it says
select the 'Include' Item in the combo box. Add the include directory of the irrlicht engine folder to the list of directories.
I can't find "Include" I assume this means that the necessary files are included in the compiled files, and that no coping of the files (except the irrlicht.dll is necessary)

How can I correctly setup Visual C++ 2008 express edition v9 the tutorial seems to old.
jddevnet

Post by jddevnet »

Irrlichtproduction wrote:when it says
select the 'Include' Item in the combo box. Add the include directory of the irrlicht engine folder to the list of directories.
I can't find "Include" I assume this means that the necessary files are included in the compiled files, and that no coping of the files (except the irrlicht.dll is necessary)
That's referring to VS 6.0. Read the next paragraph on http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut001.html
If your IDE is Visual Studio .NET, select Tools -> Options. Select the projects entry and then select VC++ directories. Select 'show directories for include files' in the combo box, and add the include directory of the irrlicht engine folder to the list of directories. Now the compiler will find the Irrlicht.h header file. We also need the irrlicht.lib to be found, so stay in that dialog, select 'show directories for Library files' and add the lib/VisualStudio directory.
Also, you probably already read and downloaded this as well, but just in case ...
Note: If you are using Microsoft Visual C++ Express Edition, you must install Windows Platform SDK. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en)
At that point, I believe you should be good to go! :D
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Errors upon spawning for cl.exe means that you didn't install the VS apps correctly. Please restart from scratch, this is no Irrlicht problem.
Irrlichtproduction

Ok, I did search for the words Windows Platform SDK in both http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut001.html (tutorial), and http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=25751 (the getting started post) and didn't see it in either place.
Why is the Windows® Server 2003 R2 Platform SDK, why is the server edition required?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Irrlichtproduction wrote:Ok, I did search for the words Windows Platform SDK in both http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/tut001.html (tutorial), and http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=25751 (the getting started post) and didn't see it in either place.
Why is the Windows® Server 2003 R2 Platform SDK, why is the server edition required?
It's only required if you own a Windows Server 2003 system and want to use Irrlicht on it - maybe not even then... Moreover, this is the forum for a 3d rendering engine, so ask google or MSDN on how to use the tools you got from other ressources (hmm, deja vu :? ).
If you want to start programming you should first get the foundations set up. This includes compiler preparation and language learning. When you're done with it, you can proceed with the applications you want to develop/compile.
gogo

Post by gogo »

VC2008 does not need platform SDK.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Oh, right, they didn't include it with 2005 Express, but with 2008 Express. You'd still need the DX SDK if you want to compile Irrlicht with DX support (though not needed for pure application development).
m3ltd0wn

Post by m3ltd0wn »

hey hybrid, i'm trying to compile irrlicht sdk 1.4.2 with vs2008 and i'm getting some strange errors in winnt.h

Error	1	error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'PVOID64'	C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\include\winnt.h	236
Error	2	error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int	C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\include\winnt.h	236
and in CIrrDeviceWin32.cpp

Error	21	fatal error C1903: unable to recover from previous error(s); stopping compilation	d:\Project\irrlicht\source\Irrlicht\CIrrDeviceWin32.cpp	579
i just want to implement some features in irrlicht that i will use in my project...

:(
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

These errors are typical for a wrong include order of the Platform SDK and the DX SDK. You need to check your preferences of MSVC, and change the include order. Just take the opposite of what's used now.
lostanimator

Post by lostanimator »

hello there:

I am having the same problem as described here, and have already unistalled and reinstalled 5 times since yesterday, always with the same result...

After having added de include and lib folders for irrlicht, plattform SDK, and DXSDK, acording to what I understand from the tutorials, it keeps saying te same cl.exe error is happening...

I already shifted to VC from codeblocks for the same reason (setup problems), getting a clean setup at first attemp a few months ago. Don't know what might be happening, but order of includes or reinstalling is doing absolutely nothing.

by the way, there is no information on this matter that helps in the MS public sites, but I'll keep trying. The problem is although I'd like to record a tutorial on this process, after many attempts I don't really know what makes it work in the end.

Good luck is what we newbies need sometimes, at least, as reading through "perfect solutions" that don't work once and again is no the path to follow, as it seems.

Thanks all for trying, but remember that the fact that it works in one system is no guarantee that it will in another identical one. It's never taht easy.
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

The exact error message would help.
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.