Subdivision Modeling

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
dlangdev

Subdivision Modeling

Post by dlangdev »

Hey guys,

This is probably one of the best tutorials I've seen so far for Blender users.

Just go take a look.

http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/foru ... .php?t=907
BloodInch

Post by BloodInch »

yes is very good but lot of poly :s isnt good for games
[Essayer De Toucher l'Horizon] -+- [Try To Tuch The Horizon]
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

SubD in games is going to be the next thingy, IMO.

Anyway, here's another interesting tutorial.

http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/foru ... hp?t=10120
BloodInch

Post by BloodInch »

very nice way !! :) i like it
[Essayer De Toucher l'Horizon] -+- [Try To Tuch The Horizon]
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

dlangdev wrote:SubD in games is going to be the next thingy, IMO.
why?
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

pardon my stupidity, what i meant was that is my next thingy. not the industry in particular.

i played around with it sometime back, then resumed it again a few days ago. nvidia has their own lib called subd.lib and subd.h, in case you're interested.
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

dlangdev wrote:SubD in games is going to be the next thingy, IMO.

Anyway, here's another interesting tutorial.

http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/foru ... hp?t=10120
Subdivision surfaces is a technique used for modeling. While the polycounts of models will increase with newer, faster hardware, never will any game EVER use Catmull-Clark or any other subdivision of surfaces.

It is good for baking static lighting tho. Try baking the light onto a "subD" version of your columns and pasting that on the low poly version for the game.
Signature? I ain't signin nuthin!
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

never will any game EVER use Catmull-Clark or any other subdivision of surfaces.
And why not? Subdivision is nice to get lots of detail out of the simplest forms. Saves memory and it is not that time consuming. If you can subdivide a mesh only in rendering time, the rest of the times, it can simply be stored as a low res model. Besides, it is much easier to rig a low poly character, and then, subdivide the mesh to get a much better looking model and natural looking joints. And would simplify significatly the use of LODs, perhaps.

In this matter, i recall a game which tried to do exactly this, long time ago, Messiah, in the end, i think they never got it right.

Interesting tuts there!
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

Dude.

Im not really even sure how to reply to this......

But there is some work going on with the new geometry shaders that will try to actually move the vertices of the models to the outer edges, where the detail is needed, in real-time. Leaving less vertices in the center where they arent needed at that particular frame.

Calculating and quadrupling your polycount at each frame tho? Take a moment to think about what you are saying :)
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

oldskoolPunk: That sounds like another technique where you use the heightmap in the vertex shader. It also has similar effect, tho I have yet to try that out sometime later.

About the subd lib, you need to take a look at the SubD demo. FPS was OK when I was running the demo.
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

yes subdivision is great for modeling I use it in Blender almost every day and the framerate is good. But not feasible for games I dont think. Not right now anyways :)