What are the limits of Irrlicht right now?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Shane

What are the limits of Irrlicht right now?

Post by Shane »

I would like to get an idea of what the limits of Irrlicht 1.5 is right now. The demos I see are cool, but the art is not all that great, so I am wondering how well can we make a game look in Irrlicht.

With 1.5 are we able to create a game that would look and feel like Unreal 2004 maybe? Using that game as a starting point better or worse?

Please do not tell me the question does not make sense or it is comparing apples to oranges, if you need to think outside to box to comtribute to the thread then do so.

Thanks.
JP

Post by JP »

I'm pretty sure you could do something looking like UT04 in Irrlicht, check the project forums for some projects that have been done in the past, most are a lot better than the irrlicht examples, they've just got crummy art to keep the size of the SDK download small.

To make it look good you need decent modellers and artists and getting some shaders working can also really improve the quality.
Image Image Image
jontan6

Post by jontan6 »

yes, it is possible to achieve good looks. u just need great art assets and also shaders. and also some additional code of cours would greatly help
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Please read the forum posts concerning screenshots, projects, etc. And please be more specific in your questions, because you can virtually do anything with Irrlicht.
Make a new thread if you have a question concerning any of the existing features of Irrlicht, or how to achieve a certain effect. This thread is closed!
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

I feel that I must raise the tone by adding this image of hybrid as he really looks.

There. NOW we can lock the thread. :P
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Says who? Oh, Mr 'Lock all Threads' :P