Forum feature: "Always notify me of replies"

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
NeWsOfTzzz

Forum feature: "Always notify me of replies"

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

Always notify me of replies:
Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post.
This option doesn't work in this forum, even though the email registered to the account is correct. It's a very important feature for message boards, which speeds up discussions a lot.

PS: I posted here because there is no real good position for stuff related to technical problems of this forum.

PPS: Same goes probably for "Notify on new Private Message:", which is even more important.

shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

If I`m not mistaken, this is known for a long time. Currently the only way around this is checking your PM-s regularly and the topics you posted. Indeed useful, but fortunately not the end of the world. :roll:
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

This feature is not supported by the SourceForge hosting. Sorry.
B@z

Post by B@z »

yeah the site doesnt send email at all (even when press the forgot password! thats the problem :P)

maybe its because of the provider
NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

Okay, they've disabled sendMail(), I've also done this on my server (you could send Emails in the name of SourceForge for example, which is not even detectable with SPF records then).

BUT, and that's also the way my customers in web hosting go:

Use SMTP! For example phpBB is offering SMTP functionality:
http://www.webhost4life.com/hostingKB/K ... 50180.aspx

You only need one SMTP-able email account, but that's no problem. EVERY email account you can use in email clients like Outlook or Thunderbird ARE actually SMTP-able. You're also from Germany, you could for example use something like "gmx.de" and make an address like "irrlicht@gmx.de". Still better would be an own mailserver but I don't know if Irrlicht has one?

PS: This is not much work (maybe 5-10 minutes including the creating of a free email account) but you should REALLY do it, it's ESSENTIAL for every good forum (Discussions which take 4 days now could be handled in 3 hours with email notifications...)

Kind Regards, René

hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

The only times I use notification is when I post in forums that I don't visit more often than once a week. But as you might imagine, those users are not the ones that define the requirements. The other thing, i.e. faster discussions, is not a major point for us - we have that time :D
NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

hybrid wrote:The other thing, i.e. faster discussions, is not a major point for us - we have that time :D
You have the time but for example people who need help can get the help much faster and maybe answer more required questions while the answer givers can then react much faster.

Overall the Irrlicht project would greatly benefit of email notifications (Users get faster answers, the forum just has much higher activity etc.)

hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Those people will have to check for help on a regular basis anyway, as they're obviously stuck somewhere and cannot proceeed. And people who can help won't get noticed because they don't want to be noticed about every new post... So no, this has worked for 6 years now, and it will work for the next years as well
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

hybrid, I also agree with NeWsOfTzzz about having this feature.
The thing I don't understand is that if it takes so little time, why not?
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
freetimecoder

Post by freetimecoder »

I would appreciate it. I like being notified. And for people that do not want to be notified, they can turn it off in every post or by using "Stop watching this topic". On the other hand, users that want to use this feature cannot turn it on.

But I must admit, because i have to check for new posts I discover other new threads and might be able to help there as well.

greetings
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

As hybrid said: It worked for 6 years.
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

Sylence wrote:As hybrid said: It worked for 6 years.
Let's hunt mammoths and live in caves, it worked for 60,000 years and that is MUCH better than 6 years.

NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

freetimecoder wrote:But I must admit, because i have to check for new posts I discover other new threads and might be able to help there as well.
That's also no problem (although I didn't see the link for it in this forum yet), but usually you can even subscribe to a whole area, so that you get an emails whenever a new thread is created, so you cam help those in need even faster.

CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

*sigh* that's the 5-10 minutes stuff which costs you half an hour just to find out what it's all about. I think we have no mailserver for Irrlicht so that's not an option.

Abusing another mailaccount as smtp-server might actually really work. At least unless it's not against the guidelines of the mailproviders (and we have to check such stuff first). So could be a good idea.

At least unless there's something speaking against this (like making it easier for anyone to spam users).

P.S. - what's wrong with mammoth hunting?
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

NeWsOfTzzz wrote:
Sylence wrote:As hybrid said: It worked for 6 years.
Let's hunt mammoths and live in caves, it worked for 60,000 years and that is MUCH better than 6 years.
It wasn't our fault that they died out ;)
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.