Hello all New here and have some questions.

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Tech^salvager

Hello all New here and have some questions.

Post by Tech^salvager »

Hi all! I compiled the first tutorial now without the the lady model. I went to the Dev-C++ tutorial to see where I put stuff using Dev-C++. Now say I want to put in a model of a gun into it instead of the lady model what would I need to do (add lines of code of course). Now to my knowledge could I use the same code used for the lady model or Do i Have to do it differently?
And since I'm new to this say i want to put teh weapon model in here hands how would I go about doing that? Is it hard to do or just alot of coding. Can anybody give me a link to a site or information on how to do someof this stuff or can you recommend a book to pickup I would really apreciate it.

Thanks for your help and recomendations
Tech^

Oh! And what is the best file format to use with Irrlicht for models?
Thanks
Acki

Post by Acki »

Just copy the lines for the feary (lady) and replace the file name with the file name of your gun modell...
And copy all nessesary files (meshes, textures) to the folder!

I think 3ds is very good, becaus Irrlicht can handle it with multiple textures...
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java

Post by Guest »

Ok
Sence I'm new to this is a mesh a Model?
Tech^salvager

Post by Tech^salvager »

I'm sorry that was me up there
Thanks Tech^
Asterisk Man

Post by Asterisk Man »

Yes, a mesh is a model (vertices, indices, tcoords).
Tech^salvager

Post by Tech^salvager »

Ok thanks :D
Tech^salvager

Post by Tech^salvager »

Ok you guys have been a big help. Now how do I go about rendering the model of the gun into a human models hand?
Yes i am new to this but I do know some C++ to get it to work
I know
if statments
loops
case staments
but yet I haven't learned how to open a file and I'm not good at strings yet, sence I haven't used them alot.
Acki

Post by Acki »

You could do it like this:
1. load the gun
2. set the position, scale and rotation so that it's in the hand
3. make it a child of the other mesh
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
Tech^salvager

Post by Tech^salvager »

Acki wrote:You could do it like this:
1. load the gun
2. set the position, scale and rotation so that it's in the hand
3. make it a child of the other mesh
ok but say wouldn't you have to do that every time for a different weapon in you code? Plus what if you have mulitple human models? Sorry if
I sound like I am whinning, but I am trying to learn this. And one of the best things to do os ask questions when in need of help.
Thanks
Tech^
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

You can load the mesh once and use the mesh in multiple scene nodes. And if asking questions was whining then we may as well not bother with a forum :)
Tech^salvager

Post by Tech^salvager »

Tyn wrote:You can load the mesh once and use the mesh in multiple scene nodes. And if asking questions was whining then we may as well not bother with a forum :)
Well I might as will tell you guys that I have started a project with my team to create a FPS game. Yes we are still in need of coders-modelers-artists.
Here is a link to see the project. Oh and yes it is using the Irrlicht engine. So go ahead and tell me what you guys think.

http://www.skyos.org/board/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

also here is what it is based on

Qouted by Strestout from the skyos forums

"here's a basic description:

About Project WBD

Project WBD is set in a parallel Earth which has not seen war in decades due to the unification of mankind in celebration after the defeat of the Kage Empire in 1954. The modern world is comprised of various unified nation-states, which have prospered greatly thanks to this newfound peace. One such nation-state, the European Union of States (EUS), has emerged as the new world superpower possessing a majority of the world’s wealth, as well as technological and scientific resources which it has been using for decades to bring underdeveloped nations around the world to the state of modern technology and convenience which it enjoys. But an underground faction has begun gaining strength seeking to destroy the EUS and become the new world order…

Prepare for one of the most intense experiences of your life as you enter the world of Project WBD, an open-source, first-person shooter, similar to Quake and others. Based on the Irrlicht engine, Project WBD seeks to achieve what few other free projects of its type have successfully done: to create an intriguing world with a rich history, and to make the best looking, most fun shooter this side of FREE!

Project WBD will put you in charge of Stone, an EUS super-soldier in charge of ridding the world of the rebellious, and extremely dangerous, Pyesvee Faction. Fight your way through industrial complexes, crumbling cities, desserts, and sewers. Immerse yourself in the world of Project WBD.

Game features planned for version 1.0:
• Beautifully rendered environments
• Intriguing storyline
• Large selection of weapons including pistols, shotguns, machine guns, and explosives as well as unique weapons created for the game
• In-house developed music
• Ambient sounds
• Detailed player models
• English and Spanish translations

While there is currently no set date for the release of version 1.0, the Project WBD team is working hard to get a tech demo for everyone to try. This demo will be announced shortly before its release. If you wish to join to the team, please contact the staff."

Now you can contact us at IRC.skyos.net channel #skyos ask for Tech^salvager, nuky, or strestout. Or you can PM or Email me.
Thanks for your attnetion
Tech^