Games in windowed mode or full screen?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...

windowed mode or full screen?

Windowed mode
29%
Full screen
71%

Total votes: 24

TheMrCerebro
Competition winner

Games in windowed mode or full screen?

Post by TheMrCerebro »

Well, the question is simple: would prefer to play games in full screen or windowed mode?

Always when preparing a game, I'm with the same question, and the games I do are "mini games" really, they are only to play for a short space of time.

If window mode is chosen, it will be easier to play while you are performing other tasks with your computer, but in full screen, is best seen details of the game.

Believe it or not, many games can be enjoyed best by choosing a windowed mode. :wink:
Follow me on twitter: @themrcerebro
freetimecoder

Post by freetimecoder »

Where is the "I want to choose in the options" option? :D
Depends on what I do, sometimes I want to play along while chatting (windowed) sometimes I want to play just to play (fullscreen)

greetings
Acki

Post by Acki »

right, I also would let the user chose in an options menu !!!
so everybody is satisfied... ;)
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

Yep ... giving the choice to the user is the way to go.
Dustbin::Games on the web: https://www.dustbin-online.de/

Dustbin::Games on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dustbingames/
Dustbin::Games on twitter: https://twitter.com/dustbingames
B@z

Post by B@z »

yea for a brutal fps, yea we want to choose.
but i think for a minigame its ok if u make it only windowed mode.
but IMPO minigame with fullscreen is no-no
so i vote for windowed mode, or selectable :3
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

Of course as ususal it depends on many factors, mainly the type of the game and the amount of information the player needs to see to play the game. If it`s essential for the player to see many things like to "feel" where he`s standing in the virtual space it`s nice to give larger screen. If the game is all about some cubes like tetris or sth similar and you need to use small-dimension sprites it`s ok for a small windowed screen. See, human brain is very adapting to many things. Like- you can play a game on 200x200 pixels on 5x5cm on 1680x1050 50x32cm screen and you`ll focus just on that spot, ignoring everything else. But this can subcontiously affect the way the player is attracted by the game. If it`s the only thing seen on screen the player will take it "more seroiusly", which is not always a good thing- for example if you wanna relax with some simple game. If your game is the type of one where the game is progressing slowly like those sim-like farming/cafe/virtual pet, you`ll provide the user to do sth meanwhile. It`s all the experience that matters. But, if it`s not a problem giving the option to the user to use different settings is always the best strategy. So, I won`t vote, since there`s no such a thing as "best" screen mode.
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
DtD

Post by DtD »

One thing I like doing (With games that support it) is running them in borderless window mode at 1280 by 900 (On my 1280 x 1024 display) that sets them at the perfect size to exist on my sceen without covering my task bar.
greenya

Post by greenya »

I play games mostly in windowed mode, because often i need to see Windows' task bar, see if new message come or some task finished.

P.S.: Voted for windowed mode.
TheMrCerebro
Competition winner

Post by TheMrCerebro »

The truth is that most you are right to choose full screen mode :D , but like everything, is according to that game.

In a game with many details, such as Doom 3 or Call of duty, the player feel the atmosphere there that fill the screen, but for a mini game of 10 levels, best done in the windowed mode to be entertained when performing any task.

:D Well, thanks for opinion and vote, your attention is appreciated. :D
Follow me on twitter: @themrcerebro