Octodad

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Greeble

Octodad

Post by Greeble »

Hello all,

I wanted to share with you an experimental game that my team has been been building with irrlicht for the IGF Student Showcase.

Octodad is a third person adventure game about destruction, deception, and fatherhood. The player controls Octodad, a dapper octopus masquerading as a human, as he goes about a day of his life. His existence is a constant struggle, as he must master mundane tasks with his unwieldy boneless tentacles while simultaneously keeping his cephalopodian nature a secret from his human family.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVoSYDWX2Ig

Octodad was developed by students at DePaul University, located in Chicago, Illinois. Beginning in June, a team of 19 concepted, prototyped, and developed this original game.

Any feedback on the current build of the game would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

John Murphy
Producer for Octodad
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

haha cool i like the octopus walking style! :lol: did you use shader?
stefbuet
Competition winner

Post by stefbuet »

Lol this is awesome! +1 walking style rules :p
I especially liked the guy at the end :D
Kalango

Post by Kalango »

Awesome game man, realy like the idea behind it. Keep it up;
pera

Post by pera »

brilliant! you have a bright future there young man. I already see Will Farrel as Octodad and Kevin Smith as co-director.
DarkDepths

Post by DarkDepths »

When I was reading the description, I was thinking "this is the stupidest, most contrived idea ever to have been conceived."

Then I watched the trailer, oh lord, the trailer. I laughed my rear end off. Seriously, I laughed it off so hard that I can't even find it anymore, it's probably in my neighbours' garden or something.

Now I wish I had time to download and play it, but I don't, but I will sometime in the near future, at which time I will, and then I'll come back and inform you on how awesome it surely is!

Edit: I couldn't resist. "Hooey" I said to my exams in the morning, and so I did download and play your game. First of all, I love the stereotypical Japanese guy... "OCTODAAAADDDD!!!!" :P

At first, control was terrible, but after a short while I managed to sort it out, and soon after I was wiggling around like a regular old octopus. One thing I might suggest is improving the camera control. As it is, it's a bit slow, I think. Also, when you have your arm stuck out, I think it would be better if you could get a more global view.

I also think I found one little glitch. When I entered the rooms, I always looked at my todo list, and I saw that I had to bring a robot to the boy "within a certain amount of time." So first thing I did was grab the robot and shuffled on down to where the boy was. I dropped it, and after scoring a goal, it said to stand beside him to start the challenge. I didn't, Instead I went and smashed down the tower of blocks, and then I went to start the challenge, so I picked up the robot and since I was already beside the boy, I completed the challenge. I assumed that there would be a time limit, so if that is the case, then I suggest that upon starting the challenge the robot be replaced to it's starting position, or something like that!

Anyways, I found it very fun and I hope there is more to come!
vinjn

Post by vinjn »

I LOVE the trailer
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Funny trailer. Unfortunately I get a crash as soon as I try to start the .exe, so can't play :-(
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

wow I loved the story xD
I played through the whole game, the banana got me a little worried though. Its VERY professional though, the animations, graphics and sounds are high quality. This HAS to win

This is officially one of my favorite games
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

Looks absolutely awesome. :)

There is, however, one thing that keeps bugging me: how can he have normal, human children? :D
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

he is in disguise! pay attention to the story lol
pullathomas

Post by pullathomas »

I am one of the developers with Greeble, thanks for all of the amazing feedback! Keep it coming!

CuteAlien - please make sure DirectX 9 is installed on your machine. Sounds like that is the problem
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Sorry, it's not DX9, I tried that. I see it crashes somewhere in Irrlicht, but don't know anything besides that. But I have a very old system here, so don't care too much if it doesn't run on that ;-)
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
aanderse

Post by aanderse »

any chance of a linux client?
thanks!
pullathomas

Post by pullathomas »

aanderse - Unfortunately the best I can offer for linux at this time is WINE. Would actually love to know if that worked.

Cute Alien - if you send me the error + machine specs I can look into the crash. We are currently trying to lessen the games minimum requirements to meet a greater audience, so it would be helpful.