I can't get Irrlicht to compile?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
CloudVII

I can't get Irrlicht to compile?

Post by CloudVII »

First of all, I'm using Visual studio C++ 2010 express, and I'm extremely new to it, I've previously used GML(a code based off of C++),
I've opened up some examples and clicked build, but I'd get a error
"Unable to start *tutorial's name and directory*. The system file cannot be specified."

So then, I just copied the code into a new project and it built fine but then I got a Run-Time failure:
"Run-Time Check Failure #0 - The value of ESP was not properly saved across a function call. This is usually a result of calling a function declared with one calling convention with a function pointer declared with a different calling convention.
"

Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss something?

When I first downloaded irrlicht, I copied the files from include and lib into include and lib in the visual studio 2010 directory.
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

You should try to recompile irrlicht source at first, include everything it is needed, link the libs, and start a new project and copy the code to it from the first sample, compile it.
Why a new project? Because I think that vc++ 2010 express has some problems with finding dir's of irrlicht samples (I had the same problem).

vc++ 2008 didn't have these problems.

Or use anther IDE :twisted:
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

The SVN trunk repository has all the necessary MSVC 2010 projects. It will be part of Irrlicht 1.8. But you can grab it now, just be aware that it's work in progress.
macron12388

Post by macron12388 »

Serengoer is right. I downloaded MSV Express 2010, and I always had issues with tutorials and just finding directories in general. I am still able to include directories and linking, but it's just easier for me with the Code::Blocks IDE.