[Team Needed] Orion Conflict - A Space RTS [ No payment ]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
galaxy366

[Team Needed] Orion Conflict - A Space RTS [ No payment ]

Post by galaxy366 »

What is Orion Conflict?

Orion Conflict is a planed Free 2 Play Real Time Space strategy game for Windows XP/Vista/7. Choose one of the two faction: Coalition or EDI forces and wage all-out space warfare in a dynamic star system filled with asteroids, planets, and other space anomalies.

Achieve victory by using tactical decisions to crush your enemy to space dust.

Like the idea but still want to know more?, Send my a message and i will give a link to the design document wish is still WIP!

Available positions
- Concept artist [ For spaceships and space scene's ]

Contact
send me a message here on the Irrlicht forum with some samples.

Thank you for your time!
Last edited by galaxy366 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
A Space RTS? why not!
XXChester

Post by XXChester »

How can you say Jobs available but with no payment, that isn't a job.
greenya

Post by greenya »

XXChester wrote:How can you say Jobs available but with no payment, that isn't a job.
Peon in Warcraft 2 when building completed says "Job is done" and doesn't get any payment for that :)
galaxy366

Post by galaxy366 »

I made some changes ;), anyone interested?
A Space RTS? why not!
lazerblade

Post by lazerblade »

I'm not knocking you or anything, but isn't this a bit of a duplicate?

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... 03&start=0

Most of the advice I would offer is in that thread.

I mean if you've got something to show us besides the idea to make a game, great. Especially if you have some time and skillz to bring to the pot. But oddly enough, you started a new thread. If you were having trouble finding your old one, the link is right there so you can go bump or update it if you want and delete this duplicate. Otherwise, this seems a little bit like spamming.
LazerBlade

When your mind is racing, make sure it's not racing in a circle.

3d game engine: http://sites.google.com/site/lazerbladegames/home/ray3d
lazerBlade blog: http://lazerbladegames.blogspot.com/
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Maybe you could get more interested people if you provided some more information, do you already have some concept art or could you maybe give out some more details which are already in your design doc?
Any info on other libraries used? Are you using an engine, and if so, is it already completed? Any planned special features?

EDIT:

Just saw your other thread from a couple of months ago... How would you say the state of your project and your skills have changed over the past few months? When looking for a team it is assumed that you will be a functional part of that team too, so I assume you worked on your programming skills ;)
galaxy366

Post by galaxy366 »

Radikalizm wrote:Maybe you could get more interested people if you provided some more information, do you already have some concept art or could you maybe give out some more details which are already in your design doc?
Any info on other libraries used? Are you using an engine, and if so, is it already completed? Any planned special features?

EDIT:

Just saw your other thread from a couple of months ago... How would you say the state of your project and your skills have changed over the past few months? When looking for a team it is assumed that you will be a functional part of that team too, so I assume you worked on your programming skills ;)
First of all, i was unable to find my old post because i haven't visited Irrlight forum until now again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

What Kind Of Game Is Orion Conflict?
Orion Conflict is a Real Time Space strategy with only a skirmish mode. Choose one of the two faction: Coalition or EDI forces and wage all-out space warfare in a dynamic system filled with asteroids, planets, and nebula.

Why Create Orion Conflict?
Why could we ?, for the last couple of years there hasn’t been any good space RTS game, expect for Sins Of A Solar Empire. There are plenty of people who want to see the old days back, I am listening to them!

When/Where Does Orion Conflict Take Place?
Orion Conflict takes place in the 22e century, where two opposing forces are in conflict wish each other.

What Do I Control?
As player you choose at the start of the match one of the two factions, the coalition or EDI forces. When done you will start with 1 planet and a station. Later on in the game as you control more worlds, and get more money, you will slowly build up your fleet and try decimate the enemy fleet and planets.

What’s Different About Orion Conflict?
Orion Conflict is at its heart a Real Time Strategy game set in space, but we have a few key ideas and different implementations that will make us stand out from the crowd:

• Free 2 Play – Free games mostly are described as bad / ugly and so own, but we want to bring the player a high quality game that they can download and play.
• Mod Support – We don’t forget about community, Orion Conflict will have full on mod capability where you can add new: Effects – Models – Features or even overhaul the graphics.
• Breathtaking Graphics – Bump mapping / Dynamic lighting / soft shadows.
• Highly detailed models – Detailed models that have rotating guns / animated sections and more.
• Full on 3D camera – switch between 3D / top view / or camera mode to witness the battle in it’s full intensity

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what i already have, i copied it to make it easier of what i am planning, hope you don't mind :D.

Well, i am searching for concept artist at the moment to make a beginning, like ships, planet types.
About my skills, i want to become a game developer one day, but sadly i haven't worked on it yet :(, Irrlight is from what i see all C++, and i tried it, but i know nothing about all those codes :/, i just don't know where to start.

Learning C++ looks hard. Most of you will probably thing that i am just a guy with an idea, but has no skills, and that is the case, but i just want to make something, i always wanted to!. But most of the times i want to make things like this, things that require intensive work. For example if i needed to make something like a simple Pac man game then i would put my into it complete, because i want to see explosions, great graphics, and something related to space.

This is what i am thinking :(
A Space RTS? why not!
lazerblade

Post by lazerblade »

I like the idea of a space RTS myself, especially a free one. If the fish(developers) aren't biting, then I have a few tips.

First, the important thing isn't being good at drawing or programming. If you create some really awful concept art and start working to try learning C++, it won't matter if your first stuff is "amazing" or terrible as long as we can see that you have a real project here.

Secondly, you need to have full enough commitment. A deep project like this isn't something you can do in 20 minutes a day, even if you aren't contributing any skills. You need to be willing to sacrifice free time in other area's to ensure the success of this project. You have to be willing to put your time, work, and effort into it. And you have to convince other people you're willing. ;)

Third, it's crucial that you try to develop some skills. If you don't bring skills to the table, a lot of people would probably feel like their work was being mooched. So even if you can only do a little and not very well, make sure you can do something that will contribute to the project.

And lastly, start small. I can't emphasize this enough. Start with clunky graphics and a really simple prototype before moving on to the rest of the project. Graphics especially only need to be place-holders until the gamplay and concept are done. Don't be afraid to go into GUI and control design with pen and paper and add it to the design doc later. You want to be as specific as possible about what the plans for the project are.

BTW, I know a little about 3d modelling. I might be willing to help. Here are some simple concept 3d models I did in blender a while back as proof:

I'd have to know a little more about the concept though. ;)
LazerBlade

Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

So you want others to do the work for you?

Everyone who gets into game development wants to make something huge and spectacular, with lots of explosions and cool effects and graphics which will blow all commercial studios away, but often do people forget that those kind of games are achieved by enormous teams with millions of fundings and all the latest technologies

I can only give you this advice: go on and try to learn C++, I know it's very intimidating at first (we've all been there), but you'll get familiar with it after a while, then try to do stuff in irrlicht, even if it isn't all flashy with the latest graphical techniques and what not

If you do find a team willing to do this work for you, that's great, but do keep in mind that taking the lead over a team of artists and programmers without having any actual knowledge about these fields is a very hard and frustrating task
lazerblade

Post by lazerblade »

Exactly, the most important thing is that you have something to chip in other than the want to see another space RTS and a link to a 3d game programming forum.
LazerBlade

galaxy366

Post by galaxy366 »

If i may ask, can i have your msn?, might help when i need to know something. It helps when you have people that you can talk to instantly, especially when they listing :)
A Space RTS? why not!
lazerblade

Post by lazerblade »

PM'd you.
LazerBlade

galaxy366

Post by galaxy366 »

Just want to know, it might for to early, but i have a image of how i would like the graphics to be.

Is Irrlight or OGRE able to make it look like this?

This is also the game i am taking inspiration of
A Space RTS? why not!
sudi

Post by sudi »

No that is impossible. Irrlicht is limited to effects and graphics you can see in the tutorials.....
Why are people always asking if someting is possible with a 3d engine? Really? Irrlicht is a modular 3d engine with more or less simple shader support. really one of the only real limits i see is the fixed vertex layout....
The rest is easily exchangeable.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

You should be able to do all the latest graphical stuff in irrlicht as lang as you know what you are doing and if you have some extremely talented artists and programmers, who aren't afraid of digging into the engine to modify some things (flexible vertex formats, anyone?) and remove things they don't need