Screwing around in photoshop

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Radikalizm

Screwing around in photoshop

Post by Radikalizm »

Got a headache from working on my engine (studying + programming is not a good combo), so I took out my tablet and starting screwing around in photoshop

Here's the result:

I think it actually looks pretty ok, I should do this more often to get some game story inspiration
soulless

Post by soulless »

wow!!! that would be a good concept art for the game that I'm working on.

Nice colors, nice art!!!
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Thanks for the comment :D

I did another one since I couldn't sleep last night

soulless

Post by soulless »

I used to draw years before, seeing this makes me want to do it again.

I like the last one's lighting and ambient, it gives me a sensation like "I heard it, we were attacked last night, but I didn't imagine it was that huge".

you did not sign this one, I'm going stole it (just kidding) xDDDDDDDDDD
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

soulless wrote:I like the last one's lighting and ambient, it gives me a sensation like "I heard it, we were attacked last night, but I didn't imagine it was that huge".
That's exactly what I was going for, awesome :D

Since I can't find any good concept artists to work with nearby I've really started to practice on my own
I'm trying to do something more colorful right now, I'll post it when it's finished
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

Very good, gotta get a tablet myself

I suppose GIMP is also allowed? I usually just do wallpapers for my own needs: http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee5 ... allpapers/

And to your question: no, i'm not on any kind of psychedelic drug atm, i just really love colors :D
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Very trippy, I like it :D Imagine if you were on a psychedelic drug, that would give even better results

Here's my latest btw:

ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

Ladies and gentleman, adding color:

I think I'm getting worse :)
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
sudi

Re: Screwing around in photoshop

Post by sudi »

I really have to get a tablet as well. I actually like drawing alot but yeah never did on the computer.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Sudi wrote:I really have to get a tablet as well. I actually like drawing alot but yeah never did on the computer.
You can get some decent tablets pretty cheap these days, and it's pretty awesome once you get the hang of drawing with one
My drawings are rather mediocre atm, but they do just fine as concept art for my current project
sudi

Post by sudi »

Radikalizm wrote:
Sudi wrote:I really have to get a tablet as well. I actually like drawing alot but yeah never did on the computer.
You can get some decent tablets pretty cheap these days, and it's pretty awesome once you get the hang of drawing with one
My drawings are rather mediocre atm, but they do just fine as concept art for my current project
can you point me to a good tablet? bc the market is pretty big and i have no idea which one is worth its price.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

Sudi wrote:
Radikalizm wrote:
can you point me to a good tablet? bc the market is pretty big and i have no idea which one is worth its price.
I have a small and cheap Wacom Volito 2 which works pretty decently considering its price, but it's a bit too small to my liking (I'm considering buying a larger one in the near future)
I can't remember what I paid for it, but it was definitely under 50€

I've only ever used wacom tablets, so I can't really comment on any other makes, but I've always been really satisfied with their tablets so I think any wacom tablet should be decent

Their Bamboo line of tablets starts at around 45€ I believe, so that's definitely affordable
There are cheaper makes out there though, but I have absolutely no experience with those so I can't comment on them
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Wacom are generally the best tablets, but the larger ones can still be rather expensive. A cheap and also not too bad alternative are Aiptek tablets (haven't checked for a while, but back then 6000U-8000U were a good size for home users).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

I just got a Wacom Bamboo (~50€). Really fun to use and works even on Linux (easy on Ubuntu, a little harder on Debian Lenny as I needed to compile a kernel-module, but works nice now).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm