Survey: 3D Shop

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.

Will you actually consider buying 3D models for your game project?

Definitely, I am not an artist myself but I need more assets!
6%
Yes, consider my deadline is near.
No votes
Maybe, if the price is cheap.
28%
No, I want my game to look unique.
67%

Total votes: 18

Virion
Competition winner

Survey: 3D Shop

Post by Virion »

I am curious about whether indie game developers with tight budget will actually consider to buy 3D models for their game projects?
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: Survey: 3D Shop

Post by CuteAlien »

Big difficulty in games is that art has to fit into the general art-style of a project. If you can't work with an artist then it might often be better using some very simple art instead (blocks are very popular in this season...).

But for prototypes it can be a good idea buying some models. Still depends a lot on the license (in short - the more restrictions, the less the chance I'll buy it), the offered model formats and a lot on the information I find in advance about it (polygon numbers, which animations, how long are they, do they repeat, do they end in certain default-stances, what kind of texture requirements are there).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

I haven't made anything close to a game yet but from the scraps of knowledge I have gained over the years is that it depends on what kind of game you are going to make. There have been effective mods that have used nothing but reused art and the games were really fun and successful. There have also been really original games that have been just as successful making all original art. I think a balance would be the most efficient. A game doesn't need to model every single thing... barrels/basic physics objects but if the game plays on a storyline then a good original character rig will stand out.
fmx

Post by fmx »

You're talking about stock 3D models right?
Sometimes stock models can be extremely useful because of the low price and quick delivery, but most of the time I just ask professionals to create something new for me.
I think its worth having stock assets on hand, in agreement with CuteAlien's point with regards to prototyping.