textured/animated controls?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
tstuefe

textured/animated controls?

Post by tstuefe »

Hi, all,

friends of mine plan a strat game which would be heavily GUI based, but with some 3d graphics intermingled. Now they look for an engine whioch can do this.

When looking at the GUI examples which comes with irrlicht, I see that all elements seem to have the same color etc.

Is it possible, using the irrlicht GUI elements, to do textured or animated controls? E.g. Buttons showing my textures, listboxes with graphical, animated listelements etc.

...thomas
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

From the main site -

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/development.html

Under the GUI-Library section -

Image Button Element - 0% But Planned
Skinnable Elements - 0% But Planned

Doesn't look like they're planned for the 0.8 version either! :(
Electron

Post by Electron »

The elements do not all have to be the same color, but as Spintz pointed out no texturing yet. Irrlicht's GUI is not topnotch, and while it is not horrible, if your game is going to be heavily GUI based Irrlicht might not be your engine. It's easy enough to use IGUImage for a simple fully textured button, but if you wnat textured listboxes with animated elements you'd have to write large portions of GUI code yourself.
You do a lot of programming? Really? I try to get some in, but the debugging keeps me pretty busy.

Crucible of Stars
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Eh? Buttons have been skinnable with images for the last two versions. Nothing else is tho, Crazy Ed's GUI is compatable with Irrlicht now, that is a pretty good GUI library.
Electron

Post by Electron »

Eh? Buttons have been skinnable with images for the last two versions.
I shouldn't talk about GUI as I'm (very slowly) writing an FPS and don't use anything except a couple static texts. I somehow have the vague recollection that i ran into some problems putting an image on a button and so resorted to the method i mentioned, but I was probably doing something wrong. U r right though, I wasn't thinking
You do a lot of programming? Really? I try to get some in, but the debugging keeps me pretty busy.

Crucible of Stars
Masdus

Post by Masdus »

the gui for irrlicht seems to be more geared for creating a windows application feel then for an in game GUI.
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

What you have are basic tools with which to create a GUI with. Windows is a very basic GUI for the most part, most OS's are. I guarantee that if you could draw a GUI in Photoshop that I'd be able to convert it to Irrlicht as a GUI. Maybe a few hacks here and there but the GUI will never improve until people start experimenting with it. You can create whatever you want with it, it's just the examples do not show a pretty GUI for you to see. If it did then you may change your opinion I recon.
bakura

Post by bakura »

Tyn wrote:Eh? Buttons have been skinnable with images for the last two versions. Nothing else is tho, Crazy Ed's GUI is compatable with Irrlicht now, that is a pretty good GUI library.
hi all,

a noob problem !

I try the Crazy ed's GUI, and it's an amazing GUI...
(compiling: even the many warnings, the D3D9 demo 7 run perfectly.)

I try to make a simple test, just remove the mesh and the text and add the logger settings in the irrlicht helloword demo (including the needed header ;) ).

Compiling works, but i have an assert fault when I try it :cry:

Can anybody help me ?
... is somewhere an exemple of the use of this GUI with the irrlicht renderer ?

thx,
bakura

Code: Select all

#include <irrlicht.h>

using namespace irr;

using namespace core;
using namespace scene;
using namespace video;
using namespace io;
using namespace gui;

#pragma comment(lib, "Irrlicht.lib")

#include "CEGUI.h"
#include "renderers/IrrlichtRenderer/irrlichtrenderer.h"

#pragma comment(lib, "CEGUIBase_d.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "CEGUITaharezLook_d.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "IrrlichtGUIRenderer_d.lib")

int main()
{

IrrlichtDevice *device =
		createDevice(EDT_SOFTWARE, dimension2d<s32>(640, 480), 16,
			false, false, false, 0);

device->setWindowCaption(L"Crazy ed's GUI - test");

IVideoDriver* driver = device->getVideoDriver();
	ISceneManager* smgr = device->getSceneManager();
	IGUIEnvironment* guienv = device->getGUIEnvironment();

CEGUI::Logger::getSingleton().setLoggingLevel(CEGUI::Informative);

while(device->run())
	{
		driver->beginScene(true, true, SColor(0,200,200,200));

smgr->drawAll();
		guienv->drawAll();

driver->endScene();
	}

device->drop();

return 0;
}

zola

Post by zola »

Hi Bakura

You can download a test application from my page. It shows (well, at least I try to) how to load the gui using xml.
You will find the zipfile with the sources and a precompiled version at the buttom of the page. The tutorial is work in progress a.t.m. so forgive me if its not complete yet.

http://thomas.webtracker.ch/jahia/Jahia/pid/858
ttom

Post by ttom »

great thanks to zola. i will test using the dx9 0.7.1
thanks
ttom