Getting Irrlicht to work with mingw 4.6.2 or 4.7

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
Post Reply
pwnstar23
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:27 pm

Getting Irrlicht to work with mingw 4.6.2 or 4.7

Post by pwnstar23 »

What version of mingw was Irrlicht 1.7.3 built with?
Do I need to compile Irrlicht with the same mingw version?
Is there any tricks I'm not aware of?

I've been trying to get a project written in VS2012, changed to cross platform system that uses mingw 4.6.2 and mingw 4.7.0. Been having a few issues not for sure if it's this causing it though.

Oh and if anyone knows of a walkthrough for compiling Irrlicht on windows with mingw could you give a link? I googled and came up empty.

EDIT: I'm trying to use QT Creator for my IDE.
hendu
Posts: 2600
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Getting Irrlicht to work with mingw 4.6.2 or 4.7

Post by hendu »

Use 4.6 for now.
CuteAlien
Admin
Posts: 10054
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Tübingen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Getting Irrlicht to work with mingw 4.6.2 or 4.7

Post by CuteAlien »

I didn't work with QT Creator so far, but we have currently 2 solutions for MinGW. First is using the Code::Blocks project files which should compile fine with gcc 4.6 in Irrlicht 1.7. Then there is the Makefile which can be run with "make win32" to run on MinGW, but I'm not 100% certain it worked in Irrlicht 1.7 as I remember that I fixed something in there recently.

But if you start a new project now I would recommend check-out the Irrlicht svn trunk. It contains the next Irrlicht version (1.8) which already contains lots of bugfixes and is more stable by now than Irrlicht 1.7. And that also works with gcc 4.7 and the Makefile should also work better.

Or just use Code::Blocks as IDE, people here are more familiar with it anyway - that is probably the easiest solution in combination with MinGW right now.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
htao2603
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Getting Irrlicht to work with mingw 4.6.2 or 4.7

Post by htao2603 »

I used QT4.7 as my IDE, and I meet some troubles. When compliing the HelloWorld example, it works good, however running the programme, it can not find a function __gxx_personality_v0 in libstdc++-6.dll.
Post Reply