Why Does Irrlicht Compile So Fast Compared To Ogre?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
kabbotta

Why Does Irrlicht Compile So Fast Compared To Ogre?

Post by kabbotta »

I started with Ogre. I actually thought it was pretty nice and enjoyable to work with, but then I got stuck trying to import animated meshes from blender and decided to try Irrlicht. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to work with. In about an hour, I had accomplished more than I had in weeks with Ogre...and I thought Ogre was easy.

So, other than just saying thanks to the developers for creating one of the most enjoyable experiences with a library I've ever had, I was specifically wondering why the compiling was so much faster than Ogre. Everything I've seen seemed to imply that the libraries have roughly similar capabilities so why does my full scene with animated characters compile way faster than my simple plane with a low poly ninja standing still on it in Ogre?

And, again, thanks to everyone who has worked on this library. Even the name is fascinating: mad light. So cool.
CuteAlien
Admin

Re: Why Does Irrlicht Compile So Fast Compared To Ogre?

Post by CuteAlien »

Glad you like it.

Ehm, no idea why it woudl compille faster, I guess we have less code :-) Note that OGRE is more complex - which some projects need. I also love Irrlicht because I usually don't need the complexity and it's then a lot easier to use.

Btw, Irrlicht is german for will-o'-wisp ;-)
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
kabbotta

Post by kabbotta »

That's kind of how I felt. Ogre was great, but for the kind of thing I'm trying to do Irrlicht seems to be a perfect fit.
Marthog

Post by Marthog »

I don't know Ogre that much but from the short look into the source code it seems to me that it uses more templates than Irrlicht and also boost. These causes longer compilation times but improves performance at runtime.
Rust fanboy