A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
eXodus

Post by eXodus »

Hey saigumi! By curiosity, what's the second parameter in :

Code: Select all

GH->LoadGUI("mygui.xml", "inventory");
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

It's the gui set you want to load. I had all of mine in one xml file.

It would have been better to split them out though.

Read the comments at the beginning of the Guihandler.h file from this:
http://www.saigumi.net/files/guihandler0.6.zip
Crud, how do I do this again?
eXodus

Post by eXodus »

I looked at the source. First I must say nice coding techniques! Might I know a little more about your experience in the field?

One more thing, how about using Irrlicht's built-in types instead of char and the likes for more portability?
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Yeah. The variable types are another thing I'll need to fix.

I've already set up a code split and have working copies for 0.7 and NX++. I found the bug that plauged my 0.6 release which is why it wasn't released. Damn NULLS. All I'm doing now is adding the new elements types that 0.7 and NX have.

When I wrote this, I was still learning the basics of C++. I'm not a programmer by trade, I'm a Systems Administrator. Though, I just accepted an internal transfer and am now transitioning to be a Build Engineer (Java). A friend (Pharoseer, who rarely ever posts) and I have been making piddly test games to learn.

About a month ago, we completed a simple missile command style game. I guess I can put it up here for people to learn off of, but it requires a modified version of Irrlicht. I added my TileSceneNode class to 0.7.1. We just re-started an older project with a new twist in an attempt to learn how to make a Diablo-esque game.
Crud, how do I do this again?
schick

Post by schick »

Heya,

loading up the gui from a xml resource sounds nice. You should have a loot at how wxWidget has done it or better how mozilla has done it http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xul/

Cheer, Schick
Please send me an e-mail instead of a private message.