Which is the Linux Distribution you prefer?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
r2d2

Which is the Linux Distribution you prefer?

Post by r2d2 »

Hi, i just wanted to know, which Linux Distri you like most. I prefer Red Hat 9.0 because it's stable and runs very fast and smooth on my PC. It's also not much work to set it up correctly.
Arudil

Post by Arudil »

I only used SuSE. I liked the version 6.x, but I'm not a friend of the new version^^.

And at the monent.. i'm fighting with gentoo... :roll:
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Mandrake is my flavor of choice. I've been enjoying 9.2. I used to run it as a standalone and used WineX, but now that I use Windows the most, I just run it in a VMWare session.

The new 2.6 kernel should be out soon. =)
Crud, how do I do this again?
Saalen

Post by Saalen »

I use rh9.0 too but they often distribute messy packages (like the inofficial gcc 2.9? in Redhat 7.2). In 9.0 Kdevelop 2.15 is messed up.
And it doesn't like my usb stick.
zoschfrosch

Post by zoschfrosch »

I use a Debian installation based on Knoppix 3.2. Last year, I started my first Linux installation with Suse 7.1, after that 8.0 and 8.1. Installation was very easy, but I ran into Problems when I made internet updates an later tried to install new programs from the disks.
Then I tried Debian based on Knoppix, but I had a lot of trouble to get the sound and the NVidia Card working. I had to rebuild the kernel to get the nvidia driver work.
After that I tried Gentoo. It was very good, the hardware support worked perfectly, but my hardware was too slow to compile all the stuff.
Now I'm happy with Debian. I like to test a lot of software, and with Debian I can download and install complete packages or update the whole system from the internet with one shell command.
darkliquid

Post by darkliquid »

I hate distros! :) I did a Linux From Scratch (highly customised from the default of course). LFS rocks!
http://www.darkliquid.net - Blog, art, poetry
Raumkraut

Post by Raumkraut »

I use Redhat 9 here at work, because the people here who really know about Linux use Redhat - as do our Linux servers. So if I have a problem I've got experts immediately to hand. :)

At home I've got Mandrake 9.2 on my laptop (Windows on my gaming machine), though I want to try out Mandrake Discovery sometime. Mandrake was the distro of choice (and expertise) at my last job - which was when I started to seriously use Linux. It's comfortingly similar to Redhat, but more user friendly IME. :)
November235

Post by November235 »

I only use Linux on my server, where I have RedHat 8.0. I've only ever tried Mandrake and Debian briefly, so I guess it's through sheer force of habit :)
November235 - Are you in FINAL DENIAL?
Land - Air - Sea
stampsm

Post by stampsm »

redhat 9.0 for home computer and a distribution called RUNT that is based off of zipslack by slackware for my thumbdrive so i have linux wherever i go :D

Post by Guest »

I have a RedHat 9.0 installation too, but I use Cygwin(.com) to avoid running linux most of the times.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Gentoo is the one and only ;)
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

Well, I personally perfer modding the source code to make it do what I want. (ie. darkliquid's post)
Another Stupid Coder

Post by Another Stupid Coder »

I Have SuSE 8.2 & RedHat 9.0b
I prefer SuSE because its very easy to use and so you can work very fast and efficent (does this word exist in english?)
But RedHat is also very simple and it is smaller^_^
I'm really sorry for my many mistakes but I'm not a native english-speaker and I'm only 14 Years old...
ErMurazor

Post by ErMurazor »

I use Gentoo.
eax

Post by eax »

I use Gentoo too.
Visit Project|Aqua Homepage