Textures on an Object "Using Meshviewer"

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Reverie

Textures on an Object "Using Meshviewer"

Post by Reverie »

Ok, i've been searching in the forums forever, and if it's here I can't find it. My rule of thumb is if I can't find what i'm looking for within 2 hours, then I'll post.

I've made a 'room' in 3d Studio Max using 3 textures. One is a brick texture, another is a tiled floor texture, and another is a spackled-ceiling texture. I've exported the room into .3DS format and am currently just viewing it with the MeshViewer utility that comes with Irrlicht.

Everything seems to be okay except the textures are not displayed correctly. By incorrectly, I mean I see the textures, except they are not tiled the way I had them in 3ds max. Instead of 100 repeating tiling floor tiles, i have one big-ass tile on the floor. Same with bricks etc.

I don't know what else to do, so I'm asking the community if they know anything about this or what i may be overlooking. When i export to .3DS format, I am asked to preserve MAX texture coordinates (and I click yes).

Suggestions?
Error 404
Reverie

Post by Reverie »

Anyone have any possible ideas on this? I'm still stuck on it last few days.

It's bottlenecking my productivity (not that it's anyone's fault in particular), but i would like to get around it. I'm open to alternative suggestions as well.

Are tiled textures through 3d studio max not supported in irrlicht? It seems unlikely.

Please help!
Error 404
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

If you merged your floor-walls-ceiling into one single mesh you'll have problems in Irrlicht; when doing this you immediately create a multitexture material (multilayer) that Irrlicht doesn't support so texturing will go nuts once you load it.

"Keep each mesh separate with its own texture" is the best way to work with Irrlicht models; so create your walls in 3dsmax, apply a texture to them, apply a UV map modifier and tile them the way you want to. Do the same for the ceiling, and the floor. Finally export to 3ds but don't merge anything; remember to have your texture maps in the same folder where you export your 3ds. This way things will show properly displayed in Irrlicht.

hope it helps :D