Micro$oft XML patent

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
anarkavre

Micro$oft XML patent

Post by anarkavre »

Yes, read it, you'll be pissed too considering Irrlicht's use of XML.

http://software.silicon.com/application ... 795,00.htm
"Without curiosity and knowledge, the mind is a vast void. Without the mind, curiosity and knowledge are nonexistent."
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Before we go bashing microsoft, you have to look at their history with patents.

Sure, they have patented some silly stuff (i recall they patented the double click), they never have enforced it. Its not used to get rid of open source. They're purely defensive.

So before we go freaking out over the fact that we'd be sued, the widespread use of xml and the invention time makes the patent impossible to defend in court.
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
AssiDragon

Post by AssiDragon »

So, if they have a patent they aren't able to use to bash rivals with, why would they bother patenting in the first place?
Staring through eyes of hate we kill
Are we controlled, or is our own will...?
(Edguy)
Galaxy613

Post by Galaxy613 »

Robomaniac wrote:...makes the patent impossible to defend in court.
Ah ha! But you forgot that the USA's courts like to defend stupid and meaningless things! And usually does what the mega-corpation wants it to. :P

Post by Guest »

AssiDragon wrote:So, if they have a patent they aren't able to use to bash rivals with, why would they bother patenting in the first place?
To give them a trump card so to speak to use when the time is right. Seems to me they are collecting patent's on things that as a single part are useless but as a whole can cause alot of trouble for open source. :(
AutoDMC

Post by AutoDMC »

The key is that they patent everything, not so they can sue us little people (that's the RIAA's job), but so they can make it hard (if not impossible) for other large companies (like Apple, Novell, Adobe, ect.) to make competing products.

And then, if they get busted, all they have to do is "lease" these technologies to the big companies (so they can say that they are not trying to be noncompetitive).

Just like when they tried to patent the FAT file system... it was to try to either elbow out competitors, or get a "piece of their action," to quote a smart kid from Star Trek.
AssiDragon

Post by AssiDragon »

AutoDMC wrote:The key is that they patent everything, not so they can sue us little people (that's the RIAA's job), but so they can make it hard (if not impossible) for other large companies (like Apple, Novell, Adobe, ect.) to make competing products.
Contradicting argument - the only way patents hold back other companies from doing such things is threatening to sue them over the issue, or even sue them if it gets to it (in economics you call that credible threat). That said I don't know how far they'd go against open source products which they consider a threat; Linux and Firefox might show pretty soon.
Staring through eyes of hate we kill
Are we controlled, or is our own will...?
(Edguy)
evolutional

Post by evolutional »

I thought it was more defensive, so if another company patents something a MS product uses (eg: XML) then they can't sue MS and force them to pay through the nose. I don't think it's going to hurt anyone really, especially us small guys.