videocards

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
gopakumator

videocards

Post by gopakumator »

Im going to buy a GeForce 6600GT for christmas,
However i have a compaq SR1130NX with a 250Watt power suppy will it still work well?
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

ImageImage
Site development -Rock and metal online
--- etcaptor.com ------freenetlife.com

Post by Guest »

Good that you ask. nvidia recommends at least 300 Watts and you better take them serious. Experience tells me. :cry:
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

hey Captor, great link!! :wink:
gopakumator

ic

Post by gopakumator »

it says i need a 280 watt supply,
i think i shall go ahead and get the videocard
if problms are there, i just get power supply later on
plus, i can uninstall my CD-ROM drive ( i never use it since i have DVDRW/CDRW drive as well
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Don't risk your card's chip's health because of some volts. I'd say tell Santa to also include a 400 or 450 Watt power supply in your present. They're not very expensive.
Armen138

Post by Armen138 »

i have that card and a 300watt powersupply, and its just enough to keep it running.
it happened a few times that a warning popped up from nvidia saying my powersupply doesnt deliver enough power, so im considering replacing it with a 400watt powersupply
if you're looking for me, start looking on irc, i'm probably there.

Post by Guest »

ic,

is it easy to replace my power supply (i have a pre-built COMPAQ, it's slightly smaller than a standard Tower)? Easy meaning availability of parts AND installation?
ThommyE

Post by ThommyE »

"slightly smaler than standart".. sounds like micro-atx
worst case would be you have to remove the drives and mainboard during install.
.. well and get the right typo of power supply, if you still have a at-mainboard you'll need a at-ps.would surprise me if anyone is still running with those beside schools ,nasa and cia

shouldn't be a problem, havent seen a single case in my life beeing not normed.(exclude all notebooks and those room-size transistor monsters).

and if you are not hoplessly untalente in holding some tools everything should work out.
if your case is somewhat old be carefull there are lots of sharp edges, so dont get cut.
(have a first aid kit nearby is never a bad idea)

in short: availibility ... well you can buy those nearly everywhere
installation: well dont forget to connect everything and you're fine.. well have a look where the fans are.
athlon2400xp+,geforce4200ti, 0.2Tb hd+64mb extern, 512mb ram, linux FC5 2.6.16-1.2096, 100%gates-free system
gopakumator

Tower size

Post by gopakumator »

The "chassis form factor" is a mid-tower, so what type of power supplies am i looking for...

Im looking for one under $50 and at leas 350Watts (mayb newegg.com)?links?
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

mainly check if it's AT or ATX. An ATX 400 Watt Power supply (Codegen) costs around US$19 here. Nothing fancy though; now if you want a thermaltake with front panel with digital display output expect it to cost some more bucks, but I use these codegen (which BTW are recommended at AMD's site) cause they're cheap and effective. Another brand I've ran into which seems to be very good is "NEXT".
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

I use 350 W power supply. Athlon 64 3000+ /venice/ overclocked to 4000+, 2 CDRW, 1HDD, 1G DDR, GeForce 6600 and have not any problems. BTW when CPU is idle its power consume is about 14W :-)
When any calculations for power supply are made it is supposed that all components will work in max power consume mode simultaneously. That's not occurrs often in real practice, but must be estimated.
ImageImage
Site development -Rock and metal online
--- etcaptor.com ------freenetlife.com
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

get a 450 watt power supply it'll make your pc run better overall and keep you upgraded for the future...

I know power is normally cheap considering your buying what a 100-500 dollar card... poop man don't skimp on electronics it's not worth it.
gopakumator1

what about...

Post by gopakumator1 »

What is the difference between a GeForce 6600 and a 6600GT?

My max budget is around 150 but newegg's cheapest 6600GT is $146,
should i just go with the 6600 (does the slower clockspeed make a big diff)?
Then again, thanksgiving is coming up this week, mayb i should wait to see if newegg will reduce the price on the GT? Does newegg even have big thanksgiving sales?
jam

Post by jam »

The GT is much faster than the plain jane 6600 66% on average make sure you get the right card for your system though do you have AGP expansion slots or PCI Express?