Best Physics Engine for...

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
NinjaNL

Best Physics Engine for...

Post by NinjaNL »

A 3rd person fight game.

Given that Irrlicht works with at least 3 engines, which would be the best one for said game sort?

Or would I be best off trying to do everything myself?
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

It's down to personal preference, I'd take a look at the stuff produced with each physics engine to decide which produces the effect you desire.
Electron

Post by Electron »

the latest version of Newton can do joints and ragdolls
Masdus

Post by Masdus »

we would really need more info on the types of features you plan for your 3d game in order to compare the physics engines. Personally i like newton, however both ODE and Tokamak use faster collsion methods.
Acki

Post by Acki »

can someone post a link to the tomak engine ???
I searcht the net, found one link, and this link was dead... :(

thx, Acki
NinjaNL

Post by NinjaNL »

Do you mean the Tokamak engine?
http://www.tokamakphysics.com/
roberto

Post by roberto »

Perhaps a fair comparison or evaluation should be made to determine which engine has faster collision. And while we are at it maybe other categories should be included too.
Like accuracy, stability, ease of use, versatility, more features and unique features. It may be that a particular engine may exceed in one or two of these categories and fail miserably on others making it completely useless for practical purpose.

I do not understand went you say ODE and Tokamak have faster collision method when there are absolutely no prove or test demo to substantiate that assessment.

Roberto
Electron

Post by Electron »

Newton himself admits that Tokamak should theoretically be slightly faster, though he thinks there is little difference and says that the Newton engene is better at large scene management and more stable.
Masdus

Post by Masdus »

To qualify my statement that ODE and Tokamak are faster i should state that the algorithm they both use focuses on speed. Newton however uses and algorithm that focuses more on accuracy. That being said the speed of each engine is dependant on a lot of factors, such as the implementation inside the engine, your use of the API and the acutal scence to be rendered. All three engines claim to be designed for games, so speed should not be a big concern. In my experiance Newton has the simplest API and is the easiest to learn. However it does seem to suffer from a relatively small community. ODE and Tokamak generally have more features, but you need to really think about wether you need them or if it is just bloat. The biggest problem is that all are still in development, so stability and speed can change alot from one release to another.
stodge

Post by stodge »

I would like to SEE someone create a basic car demo using Irrlicht with a physics engine.

Missed a word in my post.[/b]
Last edited by stodge on Sat May 01, 2004 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Newton has a tech demo with Irrlicht, check their website. I doubt anyone will do as you ask unless they happen to be doing a car game. Most people here ( me included ) aren't going to do any tech demo's that don't directly help themselves, everyone wants to work on their own games and rightly so.