Another interior demo

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
afecelis
Admin

Another interior demo

Post by afecelis »

Hey guys! :D

I created this interior for a small contest taking place at Niel (Spanish-speaking blender community):
Since everything was textured properly, I decided to give Luke's script, modified by Gandaldf, a try. It worked great! The b3d was created flawlessly! You just then have to lightmap it in Irredit, or Giles, or Deled, and save as b3d again. Then load the new b3d into Irredit, save as .irr, and load it into irrlicht.
A small vid (15 mb, wmv):
http://files.wildspad.com/afecelis/niel ... rlicht.wmv

This might not be a full project, but I wanted to share the good news about the b3d exporter for blender! :D

regards,
Alvaro
Acki

Post by Acki »

wow, the room realy looks awsome !!! :shock:
at the first sight I thought it was a photo... :lol:
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Hey Acki! long long long time! :D

Thanks! I'm also very happy with the result. ;) And I'm also very happy with thte b3d exporter for blender.

Best regards,
Alvaro
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Thats pretty awesome, are you using the standard Irrlicht normal/parallax mapper? It looks sweet.

(Stick it on the front page!!!)
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

BlindSide wrote:Thats pretty awesome, are you using the standard Irrlicht normal/parallax mapper? It looks sweet.

(Stick it on the front page!!!)
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the first shot is obviously not rendered in Irrlicht, but using blenders internal renderer or yafray (or are they the same now?)

It would be hard to impossible to do this in Irrlicht as it stands.
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

wow that scene looks amazing, nice work
Acki

Post by Acki »

yeah, hi Afecelis, nice to see you, too !!! :)
Saturn wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble, but the first shot is obviously not rendered in Irrlicht, but using blenders internal renderer or yafray
are you sure ??? :shock:
well, than it's crapy... :lol:
no, seriously, even than it looks realy nice... ;)

but I think it is rendered with Irrlicht, or did I misunderstand this:
afecelis wrote:You just then have to lightmap it in Irredit, or Giles, or Deled, and save as b3d again. Then load the new b3d into Irredit, save as .irr, and load it into irrlicht.
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Thanks for all the comments guys! Luke, I'm really glad you like it ;)

Guys, I mentioned the 1st image is a render, for a contest. It was completely modeled and textured in blender and renderd in Yaf(a)ray, the new code of yafray.

I know we all wish we could achieve this quality in realtime, heheheh ;)
The real deal starts with the shot in irredit and then the video ;)
Though tweaking light a bit more, and adding a couple of features (guys who use shaders would achieve amazing things on that floor, heheh) the scene can look even better! ;)

What I meant with:
You just then have to lightmap it in Irredit, or Giles, or Deled, and save as b3d again. Then load the new b3d into Irredit, save as .irr, and load it into irrlicht.
Was that I exported the model I used for the render (model+textures) to b3d with Luke's modded script, added lights and lightmapped in Giles and then loaded the b3d into Irredit. ;)

Will try some more stuff on it. Keep'em coming! I hadn't posted anything for more than a year!

regards,
Alvaro
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Nice. Looking forward on your upcoming achievements.
ultran00b

Post by ultran00b »

Wow dude!!! That's awesome. I use Blender a bit, but I can't model anything like this (at least not yet). By the way, since you used Yaf(a)ray, did you use it's awesome global illumination stuff?
Use the debugger, young Skywalker...
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

thanks guys! :D :D :D I'm adding an some new things. Let's see if they materialize as planned.

@ultran00b: keep on working hard. Blender is very versatile and the more you practice the better you get at it. It's amazing for modeling! About the render, yup, I used GI but with direct lighting as render method. The new yaf(a)ray also has Photon Mapping and Path Tracing, which should also be interesting to try ;) Thought they take a bit longer to render.

regards,
Alvaro
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi afecelis! This is a really nice modeling job you've got there. :D

I think with some tweaking of the surface with shaders it would be possible to have a look very similar to the render you've made in Yaf(A)ray. (UVMapping, NormalMaps, SpecularMaps, reflections maps, etc). But it would mean, programming with shaders, and assigning the shaders to the surfaces. When all you wanted to show is how great the .B3D format work from Blender to IRRlicht.

I'm exporting also my geometry in .B3D from Giles[s]. And it work corrrectly, exept, if I use VertexLighting and import the .B3D as a OCCTREE (Or convert the mesh in OCCTREE).

Anyway, it's really nice. :)
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

the floor looks real and everything else feels like CG.

just generally speaking of course the modeling is close to perfection.

:wink:
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Hi Christian! Thanks for the comments ;) Some shader stuff would really be cool to use. I just wish it were already implemented via Irredit ;)
I also use Giles for lightmapping and still don't get that part of having your textures in the "vertex lighting" group or in the "lightmap group". Giles automatically assigns some to one or the other. How does it work? What's the difference between having your level lightmapped as "vertex lighting" or "lightmaps". I usually go for the simplest approach and place my lights and lightmap my level with the textures-meshes assigned to wherever Giles placed them by default, but I'm sure it greatly affects the quality of your lightmaps. Carpman wrote some amazing tuts dealing with all those topics here:
http://frecle.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=665
Still gotta find time to read them in detail ;)
And yup, I also have issues when importing the scene into Irredit/Irrlicht. What's your experience with seting it as OctTree?

Hey Midnight! I've always liked your comments. Always something to learn from them. Rendering is all about that, learning from sharp eyes like yours. Nice to see you again. :D
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

Looks very realistic to me. The only thing that sticks out to me is the one curtain on the right being all the way down while the rest are up.

You should add some personality to it. Messy bed-spread. Overfilled trash can of Mountain Dew and Ramen Noodle cups. Socks, Underwear and other clothing items flung over the chair. Dust bunnies and other treasures swiped under the bed. :)