About supporting Quake III

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

Is there a working tool to create MD3? (I use 3DS in a recent version (at least version 9)) but there is no exporter for it to create MD3 (Latest release I found was release 6 and didnt worked.)
Gmax, still downloadable free (browser with cookies activated needed to register, if stuff havent changed...) , and the free exporter, from cokson , better than the one from id, here :

I tested it to work, but only full piece md3 human characters, I dont like chunked parts of md3...
http://pages.videotron.com/browser/

an improved for max 2009.
http://nash.wanzafran.com/ExportMD3-max2009.zip

I tested a very old md3 exporter fro blender but had probs.

anyway, I strongly would recommend other format, and yep, full vote for md5, which I'd really like (not for any purpose, just I'd like, as I never do anything with irrlicht, I just like its existence..weird.. ;) ) see included in irrlicht....As is best exported -pitty not in oficial releases yet, but I suspect more recent version to work with 2.48a, latets oficial blender... - weights and bones animation format I ever used in Blender... It can even bring normal maps...
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

sio2 wrote:
hybrid wrote:Because VBOs will give much better performance.
I'd be interested in seeing if uploading the vertices to a static vertex buffer and filling in a dynamic index buffer would give a performance improvement over the current octree code...
Me too! I might have a go at this, it sounds interesting :)

I've added it to the feature request tracker for now, if/when I get time/inspiration to look at it in depth I'll assign it to myself. If anyone else wants to do it in the meantime then just post a comment up there-

https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func= ... tid=540679
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

vermeer wrote:anyway, I strongly would recommend other format, and yep, full vote for md5, which I'd really like (not for any purpose, just I'd like, as I never do anything with irrlicht, I just like its existence..weird.. ;) ) see included in irrlicht....As is best exported -pitty not in oficial releases yet, but I suspect more recent version to work with 2.48a, latets oficial blender... - weights and bones animation format I ever used in Blender... It can even bring normal maps...
Wasn't it sio2 who had an MD5 demo working? I guess we'd really need both MD5MESH and MD5ANIM support, which could be quite a pain given the way loaders currently work.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

bitplane wrote:Wasn't it sio2 who had an MD5 demo working? I guess we'd really need both MD5MESH and MD5ANIM support, which could be quite a pain given the way loaders currently work.
Yep. It's on my website. It's almost two years old now! I'll have the source backed up somewhere. It's a square-peg-in-a-round-hole type of thing IIRC if you try and use the Irrlicht loaders. Now we have proper skeletal support (we do, don't we?) it may be easier; then again it may not. :wink:
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

bitplane wrote:
vermeer wrote:anyway, I strongly would recommend other format, and yep, full vote for md5, which I'd really like (not for any purpose, just I'd like, as I never do anything with irrlicht, I just like its existence..weird.. ;) ) see included in irrlicht....As is best exported -pitty not in oficial releases yet, but I suspect more recent version to work with 2.48a, latets oficial blender... - weights and bones animation format I ever used in Blender... It can even bring normal maps...
Wasn't it sio2 who had an MD5 demo working? I guess we'd really need both MD5MESH and MD5ANIM support, which could be quite a pain given the way loaders currently work.
aha...sorry, in all this time never realized that, as I am not a programmer, so have no idea on the dificulties things take in coding matters...

Yep, what i meant is see if that demo could help for doing a loader, if that's ok to all...

As I don't know about that structure, not even about programming, is why I can suggest sometimes really silly things...I just have a friend working in a certain place as game programmer, and for his personal things, he told md5 to be the best format for his engine/prototype, for being optimized for games, and as he could use dunno what of bone channels to apply ragdolls and even control those channels by script...to me that all is cryptic, as I say am just an artist.

What I do know by using with a mate and other engine, is how smooth it went for me with blender exporting certain test anims...and how it does support constraints systems so no need to bake(make a keyframe per bone and frame, not needed as supports curves interpolation, and 'understands' the ik and constraints..) neither add extra memory for that...And the major advantage for a shareware or whatever kind of downloadable game, that md5anim weights extremely low Ks, so you can have many anims, that is not like other weights&bones formats where you export everything with every anim, so or you end up doing a ridiculously low number of anims for games that benefit from a lot of anims, or you end up removing recources of sound, etc, neither good thing... That and for me was nice to have all that in a text human readable and editable way... (the files) ...and that for an artist is sort of nice to export with its normal map asigned...

But is all I can speak of it: I have never done a full project with md5 (Id S. did ;) ...doom3, quake4... ) neither I dunno how convenient or not would be inside irrlicht.

Edit: oops, sio2 posted while i was writting this...
Edit2: he's not appearing himself here(yet), but I know a member here is planning to work on this exact thing: I mentioned him how conveninet would be to consider sio2 demo code (or even some advice of him, or whatever) , and irrlicht chatting with someone of the dev team to see what you'd think... That is 'cause he seem to be needing that format for his project...
Last edited by vermeer on Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

vermeer wrote:not interested in bsps and .map workflows,(I way much prefer direct plugins from Blender) but have you tried Quark editor(more free licences than gtk radiant I think)?

http://quark.planetquake.gamespy.com/su ... ugins.php3

and getting map editor and bsp compiler (strong doubts on that bsp be compatible with quake3 bsp, also unsure on licensing, but seems freeware...)

http://www.getic.net/
I've used Quark for the 6DX 3D engine. I built some huge levels with Quark for 6DX. If I find the time to code PVS support in the Irrlicht Quake3 scene node then I'll be using Quark to make my levels.

Coincidentally to this thread, 6DX has a great portal renderer. It would be great if we could plunder the code. I already have too many projects on my todo list already though. :wink:

Hey, I'm now in my 10th year of SourceForge membership!
burningreggae

Post by burningreggae »

Have a look to the new example 21. Quake3Explorer.
Features:
- Load BSP Archives at Runtime from the menu
- Load a Map from the menu. Showing with Screenshot
- Set the VideoDriver at runtime from menu
- Adjust GammaLevel at runtime
- Create SceneNodes for the Shaders
- Load EntityList and create Entity SceneNodes
- Create Players with Weapons and with Collison Respsone
- Play music

Just plug your final zip (pk3) to the explorer;-) Should look much better now!
burningreggae
sudi

Post by sudi »

actually the bsp is not really compatible....i just posted in the bug forums the other day a picture of a quake3 level which has major holes in it.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

Keep in mind that the Quake 3 mesh reader does not support brush entities, so anything made into a func_door or whatever will not show up. Making parts of the world into brush entity is a common technique used by level designers to increase the performance of their maps, but simplifying the work the visibility compiler has to do and making a better visibility map.
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
sudi

Post by sudi »

well but holes in walls are probably no func_doors...
but ok there is probably another trick to this
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
burningreggae

Post by burningreggae »

sudi;-)
as i told you in another thread you need the original quake3 files to fully show a custom map.

some entities are parsed already.
func_door, jump-pads are on my todo-list.
But this doesn't affect rendering. it is part of the collsion response system.
burningreggae
kaos

Post by kaos »

sorry, my question isn't for this topic but in this moment I had seen this:

http://www.sio2interactive.com/HOME/HOME.html ???

sio2, ¿had you done this?
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Wow! IVe missed a lot of things on this thread! Really cool to see things that are happening here! Would be really nice to see that Quake 3 map loader example when the new IRRlicht release will be out!

For the model loaders, could this be useful?:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=31614

Theses are MDL loader with support with various version releases...
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

This is still very WIP, but I have an initial draft of a Quake3SceneNode up-and-running with Irrlicht 1.6 SVN. It uses the bsp visibility data to build a list of visible faces from a given camera every frame. The bounding box of the entire level is used for initial culling using the standard node rejection mechanism, and leaves are further culled by testing the leaf bbox with the frustum during the bsp tree walk. At some point I'll add code to classify standard Irrlicht scene nodes against the bsp tree so that they can be visibility culled also.

I'm still working on performance - ideally I could do with STATIC vertex buffer semantics and DYNAMIC index buffer semantics. Also, NOOVERWRITE and DISCARD semantics would be nice. Basically, I do zero work with vertices (upload them to GPU!) and lots of work with indices (though I'd still like them in AGP memory and not vanilla sysmem). I'll post more when I have a firmer idea of what changes to propose.
Katsankat

Post by Katsankat »

Fantastic sio2! :D
I've seen on the tracker someone asked and did dynamic indices, bitplane marked it "done". Can't say more though.
sio2 do you draw edges with white lines? Very effective way for future users to debug portals.