Post Your Irrlicht Screenshots / Render Here.

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Impressive car

Those screens are made with an Athlon 64 3200+@2.1Ghz single core, 1GB of Ram, and an NVidia 8500 GT with 512 Mb of Ram and the amount of memory used by the program never reaches more than 150 megs, besides, the compiler was Mingw, and the IDE DevCPP. I'm pretty sure your computer would stand that without any trouble 8)
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

Signature? I ain't signin nuthin!
andrei25ni

Post by andrei25ni »

lately I've been playing with IrrEdit's global illumination and I think I've got some pretty nice results. These are some screenshots featuring an army base on an island :

and something different:

great screenshots, oldskoolPunk!
geckoman

Post by geckoman »

Very nice, even though the textures are not THAT good ;)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Agreed (with both :wink:), although my eyes have more problems with the strong aliasing...
Anyway, really nice renders, also the "toon" shader in b/w.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

The toon shader is easy, the outlines, on the other hand, have their "meat" Which is remmarkable that he got them that easy. Cool. Besides, the images have a sort of dark comic look very interesting.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

I am using the new OpenGL AA option and I have disabled mip-maps on the tiny ink texture. It helps a little but not much.

So I need to either scale the ink texture based on distance, or maybe try out the draw2DLine function?

Or maybe there is a better idea out there :)
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

You can use an INEFICIENT AT ALL trick that is to double the geometry, offset it a bit along the normals, invert them, and draw those faces in pure black, or whatever you want for the edges. It doubles the geometry for something really small, but it does the trick really well. :D but i like yours better.
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

That is an interesting idea. But I dont understand how that would help. I would still have to scale somthing at the vertex level.

Maybe what I need is to be able to create my own mipmaps, changing the thickness of the ink at each stage instead of the size of the texture.

I "here tale" that that may be coming soon to an Irrlicht near you!

Thanks for the compliment Mel! So far you screens are some the best I've seen in these forums! I understand the need to actually finish a project from time to time. But whats the use in it if it looks like crap? :)
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Hmm, maybe you're using RTTs and since Irrlicht does not have anti-aliased RTTs... But it also seems that most Irrlicht users don't really want AA so far?!
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

What? Where are you getting that from?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Most screenshots don't use AA, and those using RTTs never complained about the lack of AA RTTs.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

To be quite frank, I did wonder why rtt always looked blocky, but since we "had AA" for a lil while now, I thought the problem might be elsewhere...
geckoman

Post by geckoman »

I use AA and I'm waiting for the update to use higher levels of AA.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

I saw some cool screenshots at http://www.cnblogs.com/flysnow using irrlicht (not mine)