XEffects - Reloaded - New Release (V 1.4)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Check the required libs, maybe you need a different MSVC run-time or the .net framework.
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Good job BlindSide :)
I see small bugs in two GLSL files. In BlurVP.glsl and BlurHP.glsl on line 18. You forgot change float2 to vec2, so SSAO in OpenGL mode don't work on my Radeon 4850, it currently work properly only with NV cards. With vec2 all works good.

BTW. Can I use Your scene in my SSAO example included in IrrCg? (avaiable today or tomorrow)
Library helping with network requests, tasks management, logger etc in desktop and mobile apps: https://github.com/GrupaPracuj/hermes
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

BTW. Can I use Your scene in my SSAO example included in IrrCg? (avaiable today or tomorrow)
Of course, it will make it easier to compare algorithms. Thanks for pointing out my error, I will fix it.

@Nate_D: I have recently switched to MSVC 2008, so you probably need the MSVC 2008 runtimes, available from the Microsoft website. You could also have a go at compiling the examples yourself.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
9YkKsvXM

Post by 9YkKsvXM »

-
Last edited by 9YkKsvXM on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
B@z

Post by B@z »

just a quick question. did you fix the depth map issue? (the updating problem xD)
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Yes.
Had a go at compiling the examples, recieved a lot of errors regarding dimension2du... if im not mistaken it was dimension2d at one time... Im am using irrlicht 1.5 so shouldnt it work correctly with this?
Hmmm you need to update to the latest SVN (Or just search and replace all dimension2du to dimension2di in XEffects).
B@z

Post by B@z »

ok cool.
i will try out, when i get my comp back :D
m_krzywy

Post by m_krzywy »

Have errors while compiling the exapmle. DevC++ - irrlicht 1.5 (changed ..2du to ..2di)

Highlited code:

Code: Select all

ITexture* randTexture = driver->addTexture(name, tmpImage);
Compilation errors.

474 D:\GameDEV\NewSSAO\XEffects\EffectHandler.cpp no matching function for call to `irr::video::IVideoDriver::addTexture(const irr::core::string<irr::c8, irr::core::irrAllocator<irr::c8> >&, irr::video::IImage*&)'

note D:\GameDEV\irrlicht-1.5\irrlicht-1.5\include\IVideoDriver.h:221 candidates are: virtual irr::video::ITexture* irr::video::IVideoDriver::addTexture(const irr::core::dimension2d<irr::s32>&, const irr::c8*, irr::video::ECOLOR_FORMAT) 

note D:\GameDEV\irrlicht-1.5\irrlicht-1.5\include\IVideoDriver.h:221                 virtual irr::video::ITexture* irr::video::IVideoDriver::addTexture(const irr::c8*, irr::video::IImage*) 
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

try name.c_str(), the new core::Stingc methods are only in more recent versions.
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Hello, this is just a thought I had, I haven't really looked in detail at the source of XEffects but will when I have time.

Anyway, half the time it seems shaders, XEffects and others, don't work for me, and generally (after casting errors and suchlike are fixed) it would be because my graphics card has a limited program size or something. So it is limited in the amount that a shader can do.

But isn't a solution to this simply to split the shader up, into several passes? And then you can do any kind of fancy effects, with the only caveat being it might be a bit slower?

I know when I attempted bloom once, I managed it, but I had to split it into several passes (two blurring passes and a bright-filter pass or something).

As I said, I will look into this myself at some point. But just raised it here as food for thought. Especially if XEffects or similar sort of thing ever made it into the Irrlicht core (that would be so awesome!), it would be nice to be as compatible as possible :)
Halan

Post by Halan »

what I was wondering is how much passes do you need in total with all effect running: shadow map, bloom, SSAO

And can I use XEffects also if I have custom per-node shaders or will they conflict?

greets,
Halan
m_krzywy

Post by m_krzywy »

hybrid wrote:try name.c_str(), the new core::Stingc methods are only in more recent versions.
Thanks. It worked.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

xDan wrote:Anyway, half the time it seems shaders, XEffects and others, don't work for me, and generally (after casting errors and suchlike are fixed) it would be because my graphics card has a limited program size or something. So it is limited in the amount that a shader can do.

But isn't a solution to this simply to split the shader up, into several passes? And then you can do any kind of fancy effects, with the only caveat being it might be a bit slower?
Thanks for the suggestion but obviously I already know what I am doing. Everything is designed to run on atleast SM 2.0 (96 instructions, 64 arithmatic + 32 texture, this usually results in a total of 8 texture reads per pass) video cards. (Except for the SSAO and Higher filtering modes.).

The bloom already has 4 passes (Bright filter and 2 blurring passes ;) ).
what I was wondering is how much passes do you need in total with all effect running: shadow map, bloom, SSAO

And can I use XEffects also if I have custom per-node shaders or will they conflict?
The whole point of XEffectsR is to have a completely material-independent system, the shadows are done as a post processing step and have no influence on your nodes materials, so it's completely possible to do anything you like. You can already see this happening in the first example, where I am using the shader effects included along with shadowmapping. I haven't really combined the bloom and SSAO, but I guess in total like 8 or 9 passes, not for the feint of heart!.
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Thanks for the suggestion but obviously I already know what I am doing
The amount of crashes and general not-working-ness I've got over the times I've tried using XEffects, it wasn't immediately obvious.

But you've cleared that up now, so it's all good ^_^
Halan

Post by Halan »

Ah okay. I still remember your old XEffects where it was touching the Materials. Awesome to hear that this is not the case anymore.

Keep on going BlindSide!