How do I use Irrlicht + XCode + iPhone SDK ??

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
tracerx

Re: You can create a static library for Irrlicht on iPhone

Post by tracerx »

Adversus wrote:That's what I do and it works fine.

Although it would be nice to see the source files in the static libs in the project file.

Like you can for a MS Visual Studio solution.
All the source is there. What I do is in addition to pulling in the .a static lib I also pull in all the source. Makes it easier to debug. I'm still hoping for a small change to the driver that makes it easy to go landscape though.

But thanks to the authors for an awesome job porting this!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Ok, so the project file cannot search the sources or something like that?! Maybe bitplane can update the project file, as he's on OSX.
Adversus

Post by Adversus »

If you add a project to a solution in Visual C you can see all the sorce files.

In XCode you sort of have to add a project to another "main" project and then it shows on the "solution explorer" it's target (libIrrlicht.a file) and allows you to specify the dependancies. However it doesn't show you it's source files but does allow you to break into them.

It's hard to explain but basically I find visual studio to be faster to work with (somethings XCode does better though) and it VS seems to compile and link much faster as well.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

bitplane updated some things in the XCode project, don't know if this helps. However, VS doesn't really help here, as it's about OSX.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

I struggle with Xcode to be honest, I don't want a whole new project for the iPhone stuff but the SDK paths seem to be screwed up and the only way I can get it to link is by creating a new project.
I haven't tried in a while though, maybe I'll play with it some more over the weekend.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Adversus

Post by Adversus »

Yea XCode is ok, I have Irrlicht and Bullet as separate static libs (like in my Windows version) and it works ok.

I was just moaning about the source code issue with XCode and the fact it's much slower than VS.
ecsos

Post by ecsos »

monsterkodi: Well if you want to speed up the build process even more you can change the # of compiling threads of XCode like this:

1. Open Terminal
2. defaults write com.apple.Xcode PBXNumberOfParallelBuildSubtasks <number of threads>
3. Restart XCode to see the changes...
taken from the sio2 forums. maybe it will help with your compile speed, if that's what you are talking about Adversus
grafikrobot

Post by grafikrobot »

Personally I circumvent most of the annoyances of Xcode, and VS, by having it run my external build system which already supports much better multi-platform building. And edit all the files on Windows through a Samba share with a faster/simpler/better editor.

I'm still perplexed as to the horrible state of development environments.
tracerx

Post by tracerx »

Any progress on landscape mode?
Adversus

Post by Adversus »

Sweet that worked!

Thanks ecsos
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

I cant seem to manage to get the rendering to happen in the right place,

I have created my

window = [[UIWindow alloc] initWithFrame: rect];

irr::SIrrlichtCreationParameters param;
param.WindowId = window;

and then call createDeviceEx, right?

The engine creates the device "correctly" and it enters the run loop and everything (using the hello world sample) altough, the screen renders pure black for me... and i have set my clear color different, drawing text all over, etc. and i still only see a black screen

My suspicions :

a) the lib didnt build correctly (i didnt get any warnings on the GLES side of things)

b) the WindowId is passed incorrectly to the param

c) there is something else wrong

Anyone else see anything like this ? or, how do you setup the window / view properly for irrlicht to render into cos i cant seem to get it to show up (although it does goes through the real render loops internally, etc)
biino

Post by biino »

For those following this thread, we finally got this working.

FuzzySpoon (I believe) is preparing a nice starting base project to work from for the community. The current one has a few issues but it is rendering to the screen - as in it's just clearing the screen to tutorial purple (but it's a damn fine purple to see on the ipod\iphone).

Good things are coming.

Bino (Borealis)
Sherry Haibara

Post by Sherry Haibara »

This is really an exciting news. God bless the maintainers of this port and the supporters like biino and FuzzySpoon. :)

Sherry Haibara
zlobotan

Post by zlobotan »

So how did you resolve the black screen problem?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

It requires a correct screen setup in your app. FuzzySpoon is working on simpler interfacing, though.