Irrlicht Game Logic Engine Released! [ GHS-GLE ]

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Systemerror

Irrlicht Game Logic Engine Released! [ GHS-GLE ]

Post by Systemerror »

GreyHat Software - Game Logic Engine [pre-alhpa demo]:

This engine is aimed for games developers using the Irrlicht 3D engine developed in C++. As Irrlicht doesn't have any game logic within it, this aims to help solve this problem by giving the game programmer a framework to run off. It is built upon functions and classes which are easily used, powerfull and portable which can save the programmer tonnes of time as this will do most of the work under the hood (A few lines of code can have amazing results) - which in this pre-alhpa demo build has the following features:

* Easy rendering device calling with one function call using GHS-GLE default parameters
* Easier event handling managment
* Finite State Machine
* Game logic functionallity, such as: Play, Pause, Un-Pause, Quit
* Default shell from which to work from
* Easy OO code managment
* Good documentation and commenting
* A real-world sample, exe and source

License:

Basically, this pre-alpha demo build is freeware and all we ask is, if you use this within your project (Whether you edited resources/code etc or not) that you put This Image on your game/application, and if you really want to show your appreciation then feel free to link us on your site, lastly, some feedback would be nice so we can taylor future development to our audience as best as possible.

System Requirements:

N/A

Irrlicht 3D 1.5 or above.

Download

Also you can wath the video of the example provided, which uses just a few lines of code :P
-System error
moekkog

i have a question

Post by moekkog »

in your video it look like very cartoony im developing a game for kids could you give advices and examples to make my game look like yours
mine is SAJAN i want mine to look like yours
Systemerror

Post by Systemerror »

You're missing the point, the game animation is just meant as an example of a game running, the graphics has no relevance, it's what it stands for.

P.S

The poor video quality doesn't help, but either way it's irrelevant.
-System error
moekkog

Post by moekkog »

i know that it doesn't have anything about your project i just want that my game look like yours if your are using some effects or textture or whatever and thats what i asked before
Systemerror

Post by Systemerror »

If you download it, that is the demo source, exe with all media files so just use that.

OK back on topic.
-System error
Joe_Oliveri

Post by Joe_Oliveri »

Moekkog I know you are interested in his videos art style, but please don't derail his project announcement post. This question could be asked via private massage.

Systemerror, Yet another good looking project from you. Keep it up!
Irrlicht Moderator || Game Designer
Learn the basics at </dream.in.code>
Murloc992

Post by Murloc992 »

This could not be called engine, but this is extreme stuff for newbies who's just starting to program games or another stuff. You fully explained to me(and I hope to others too) how to make menu->game and backwards to menu system(was working on this for 3 days, and it is so simple, that I'm feeling -> :shock: ) :) I appreciate it. Good work. :D

EDIT:
I was allways confused on these damn menu->game, game->menu systems :D
Systemerror

Post by Systemerror »

Thanks guys,

Yes, this is aimed for people new to the Irrlicht engine, and also for people who are struggling to make simple game logic from it.

When I first started out with Irrlicht I really struggled trying to get a menu based FSM to work with simple game logic, primaraly because you have to have a good/reasonable knowledge on the engine and then have to hard-code a lot of it yourself, that said, I thought this could really help the people that was in a similar situation as I. One can honestly say that I would have found this very valuble when I first started with Irrlicht 3D engine so I hope some of you guys do too.
-System error
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

interesting submission, probably not helpful if you making a game but its probably helpful as a learning tool. The community thanks you.
Systemerror

Post by Systemerror »

This is only a light pre-alhpa demo though, I am working on making it full scale, maybe into a full blown game engine with (free) middleware API's for audio and physics on top of Irrlicht - I dunno, I am currently busy working on Deep Sleep right now, but something to think about in the future.
-System error
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Its a nice idea but the demo is "C" code..
I mean it could be useful making it in C++ and doing it OOP. You could do it in C and it would be great and good and all of that but.. but you know what I'm saying..

And I also understand that it's pre-alpha though I wouldn't code a single line in a pre-alpha phase so its kinda weird that you submit an executable with code at such early stage..

P.S
Pre alpha is still a designing stage as far as I know so this is why I'm saying that..
I'm still interested in the full version though, or at least something close to that..
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
Systemerror

Post by Systemerror »

Ive just completed version 1.1 of this which has improvements on it's prior features, more "menu" and "in-Game" logic, also IrrKlang audio and other features (I'm working on a Save/Load feature for 1.2) man, this has made my life so much easier, you can literally have full blown game logic play within approx 10 mins, of-course that will only be a shell but has everthing prepared for you to use and insert custom code.
-System error
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

some feedback would be nice
This reminds me of programming job interview questions where they give you a section of code and ask you to highlight bugs and issues. With just a quick perusal of the header file I can find 10 issues.

I would recommend some investigation into coding techniques/standards/methodologies and going back to the "drawing board" to start afresh.

It's up to you to decide what you do with this feedback.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Well, I just had a (VERY) quick overlook. On this (VERY) quick overlook, I didn't (YET) see any problems by itself ;) However, there are some nomenclatures which aren't respected and could mean problems for some.

1. Multiple class in a single file. That's a classic.

2. "using namespace" with no or little use of their members. Worst, you both use irr and std, meaning you can have conflicts on say map since both implements one version.

3. Lack of comment. Yeah, seriously, that one should be fixed ;)

Well, just a quick comment, good luck :)