XEffects - Reloaded - New Release (V 1.4)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
m_krzywy

Post by m_krzywy »

BlindSide wrote:Hey there shouldn't be any artifacts like that against the background... Your far value is way too high btw, try 500.

Also try these values:

#define SAMPLE_COUNT 8
#define SSAO_REACH 5.0
#define MAX_DEPTH_DECLINE 4.0
#define DEPTH_ALIASING_EPISILON 0.05
#define RAND_TEXTURE_TILES 3.0
#define SSAO_OUTPUT_MULTIPLIER 2.0
Nope mate. Artifacts again.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

btw, m_krzywy the shader has a number of options that rely on each other. This means that each change requires changes of other values. its just a matter of tweaking things like crazy until you can get something viable for your game. The settings can easily be exposed through the callbacks in the xeffects wrapper, giving you floats to pass in, and change in realtime to find the best settings.

I might have posted this but you CAN get this too look awesome depening on the world scale, and those values. I spent about 2 hours changing the values through the shader, and then i spent 10 minutes making those available to my code. Then i changed them in realtime and found something that worked.

It just takes a lot of tweaking :)
m_krzywy

Post by m_krzywy »

#define SAMPLE_COUNT 8
#define SSAO_REACH 40.0
#define MAX_DEPTH_DECLINE 0.06
#define DEPTH_ALIASING_EPISILON 0.01
#define RAND_TEXTURE_TILES 18.0
#define SSAO_OUTPUT_MULTIPLIER 2.0

Used this for FarVisible 5000 - works quite nice :D

Can you post your settings?
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

Well i rewrote a lot of mine, lol :P so i cant really post it yet (its tied into my framework atm) but the code for that picture, was normal xeffects. The only thing i did was remove the random vector of noise by making a manual noise texture (i found it better for my applications) and i rewrote the blur passes shaders as well... Turns out you can get some interesting results as well :

The ssao with xeffects works fine, it just takes a lot of tweaking and experimentation :)
m_krzywy

Post by m_krzywy »

The screen you posted is only ssao pass? Looks great!
lostclimategames

Post by lostclimategames »

still needs to get rid of lines from edges that are far away.
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

That shouldn't happen in my one, fuzzy is using a custom algorithm. (Although m_krzywy's screenshot shows this happening against the background, not sure why. Maybe it happens against an empty background but not against far away things?)
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

Yea blindside, the xeffects one does it on edges against the sky, basically. This is also only dependant on something else of something in the depth pass, being between the camera and the sky. if you look at his pic and you take the map away and put only a cube, it probably dont do it.. But the minute theres something between the sky and the camera, it uses that edge as an internal edge.

Ill take a stab at trying a different approach on the ssao here, and see what i can come up with, and whether i can make it stand alone again for default xeffects.
Saumane

Post by Saumane »

Hi BlindSide, i was just wondering if you have done an example on how to do orthographic shadows(?)/skylight? I asked you about it some time ago on MSN..

Here's a screenshot of shadows that i'm aiming for.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

i was just wondering if you have done an example on how to do orthographic shadows(?)/skylight?
have you tried directional light?

Code: Select all

video::ELT_DIRECTIONAL
Saumane

Post by Saumane »

Yes, but i never seem to get to work. Tried all kind of far and near values but i never see any shadows, or if i see they are sooooo tiny or totally out of place..
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

I have an example here: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=29105

But it is a little outdated and uses the old XEffects so I will make a new example when I get the time. I still recommend you read it and apply the concepts to the new XEffects.

Cheers
lolwut

Post by lolwut »

i noticed something "strange" (?)...

when using xeffects
(just a white plane and black background, no postprocessing)

...the last pixel column (on the right side) is being rendered to the first column on the left side
(saw that in some other screenshots in this thread too) and i have no idea why this is happening :?

anyone knows whats causing this?
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Yeah it seems to be a bug in the screenquad texcoords/vertex positions. It'll be fixed in an upcoming version.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

hi I was wondering...

if I were to use SSAO in the irrlicht example 12 (with parallax mapping) then it wouldn't work so well. Because it records depth of the actual geometry of the mesh...

But what if... someone remade the shader for parallax mapping and made it so it writes the depth but altered by the bump mapping process? A bit like the new cryengine which Improved SSAO with normal maps.