[TEAM NEEDED] SimNation

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki

What did you think about SimNation idea?

Boring. Would never help such a project.
8%
I didn't understand it very well.
12%
Interesting, but I'm not into contributing now.
72%
Interesting, I want to join the team!
8%

Total votes: 25

RodrigoAmazonas

[TEAM NEEDED] SimNation

Post by RodrigoAmazonas »

Hi fellows,

My project is a simulation of real countries, with data about population growth, land use, biodiversity, energy budget, foreign trade, industries, agriculture, ocupation of the working class, and so on.

The main idea is to teach people how things happen in real world, so they won't believe no more in the thousands of lies told by politicians, media and large corporations. I'm very concerned about our common future and the so-called "sustainable development".

The first point is to assemble a visualizer for this kind of data (already done for land use of almost any country; now in the process of inserting roads, administrative boundaries, conservation units, etc). Then different applications can be developed over this base project. Two main applications come to mind:

1) a GIS environment where gaps in the data can be filled by comparisons with similar countries (e.g. if we don't know what a specific african country exported in a given year, we can "extrapolate" data from countries with similar "structure" [demography, vegetation and soil data, dominant religion, local currency, taxes, inflation indices, etc.] and also from the same country in different years). Different scientifical approaches can be tested in such environment;

2) a game called SimNation, similar in style to the classical SimCity, but here you'll be the president (or dictator) of the country of your choice. Running from 1950 to (at least) 2050, you'll plan and see the growth of cultivated area, urbanization, infrastructure projects (like dams and roads), and all the impacts they cause, such as GDP growth, erosion, loss of biodiversity, diseases, water pollution, criminality, etc. You can also accept (or not) the creation of conservation units (based initially on real ones) and invest in "green" technologies, education, etc. Wars and political treaties should also be possible. Everything you do will have reflects in the future.

All the data is available from "official" sites (such as UN, CIA, national statistical services, etc). A first draft, with some of the data already in use, is available here at sourceforge as SimNation (version 0.3, with Delphi source). Now I've changed to C++ and 3D (thanks to Irrlicht team!). Some screenshots:

Brazil - general view showing degradation of central savannas (Cerrado) and the arc of deforestation surrounding Amazonia.

Brazil - showing the vegetation classes and deforestation along a "transamazon" road.

Ciudad de Mexico and some mountains at North.

Congo forests.

Ukraine - showing predominance of cultivated areas (other maps show what is being cultivated in each area)

China - showing a great variety of environments

Sudan. Saara at North, Ethiopia mountains at East.

That's it! Hope to hear from you who would love to change the world! :D
I feel, therefore I am.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Sounds very promising! You may want to use higher detail textures and split them across the mesh, so instead of using one large texture, you can use even more of the same size separately. This fixes the size limit of textures on video cards and if you do your own lod on the textures, it can even increase the speed. It looks great right now, I'll be following this project.
RodrigoAmazonas

Well, here are some images of the previous (2d) version (available at http://ufpr.dl.sourceforge.net/sourcefo ... 3_Full.zip), so you can understand the project better:

Main screen, showing a selected country with the cities (passing the mouse over a city shows its name and population).

Vegetation screen, the one you can see on 3d version:

The same screen, some decades ago (pink, that means cultivated area, is substituted for the closest vegetational type):

Using transparency on vegetation screen, so you can look it together with other maps, such as rainfall or altitude (rainfall here):

Conservation units (such as national parks, ecological stations, etc), with creation date, area, IUCN category and name (in the game, you'll start in 1950. Any conservation unit created after this will show up in proper time, and you'll be asked to create it or not. Your decision, along with levels of corruption, creation and pavimentation of roads, funds for fiscalization, etc, will all have visible consequences):

Roads and deforestation (a zoom at Rondonia state, one of Brazil's biggest forest killers):

Measuring the area of each vegetation type:

Total area occupied by different cultivars. Cassava (maniwa/macaxeira/mandioca):

and soy (brazilian top exportation comodity. Some questions arise here, how much natural vegetation has to be destroyed, how expensive is the alternative technical solution, how much of the food thus produced is used to feed the inhabitants, how much to feed cattle, how much will be exported? The need to export is to balance which importation needs?):

Some graphs:

Rural/Urban population:

Ocupation of the working masses, according to trade/industry, age, decade, sex and location (rural/urban):

Main industries, showing an approximated workers count, average wages and contribution (%) of each industry to GDP (Gross Domestic Product):

Imports. Each color is a great-division (red is food, cyan is chemicals, brown is fuels, etc.). Each color tonality inside a color window is a minor-division (kinds of food, kinds of chemicals, etc.). The area corresponds to the participation of that industry in the total imports:

Exports:

World map, showing per-capita energy consumption (the gray bar at the top can be "dragged" to control the contrast between countries with small values. Other variables are available):
Some numbers from the map above (as of 2000):
Congo: 1.55 MBTU
Nigeria: 6.76 MBTU
China: 30.11 MBTU
Brazil: 47.74 MBTU
US: 350.79 MBTU
I feel, therefore I am.
Arya

Post by Arya »

I think this is an amazing idea and I would be more than happy to join the team. Where do I sign up? :)
Katsankat

Post by Katsankat »

Amazing.
However in my game it is world war 3, so people dont grow food they build bombs instead.
Question of oil and drugs.
Anyway this project is as cool as fighting cancer!
So your project was done in 2D, then in 3D? fantastic. I can already see the zoom
and the LOD levels blending transitions. Awesome. Viva Brazil!!!
Arya

Post by Arya »

I have a question though. Is the game have any economic features? Or is it just enviromentally-based?
RodrigoAmazonas

Hello Arya and Katsankat, thanks for the replies!

Right now I'm studying Arras' tiled engine (ShTlTerrainSceneNode - http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=20940), since some maps, like Brazil, are pretty huge to show in many computers (specially laptops) as a whole thing.

Arya, up to now the economic features I do have are GDP, currency value in dollar terms (both Purchasing Power Parity and Exchange Rates), energy produced and consumed, as well as kinds of energy (electric, hydroelectric, fossil fuels, coal, nuclear, wind, etc), industries, imports, exports, and a few more. My quest is exactly to point out relations between economics and environment, e.g. how can a country seek development without destroying biodiversity? What industries should a president/king/dictator invest in, and how this will reflect in social wellbeing, economic development and all that? (I'm already a biologist with a master's degree in ecology, so now I'm beginning to study economics.)

Katsankat, I want to introduce as much variables as possible, so oil and drugs will be in for sure, and oil channels, geopolitic contends, guns traffic, etc. Also, if you want to do war with a neighbor country (or one not so close), it could be possible too. I have not thought about a FPS way of doing/seeing war, but it could be an extension, perhaps (or like Will Wright's Spore, we could have two or more games inside one). I really hope it won't be so hard as to fight cancer ;)

Cheers!
I feel, therefore I am.