Forum feature: "Always notify me of replies"

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

CuteAlien wrote:Abusing another mailaccount as smtp-server might actually really work. At least unless it's not against the guidelines of the mailproviders (and we have to check such stuff first). So could be a good idea.
That's not abusing, that's exactly what they're made for (and I've also seen a dozen of boards using free email accounts for notifications). They (GMX, Gmail) set up their SMTP-server so people can actually USE it with their mail clients like Thunderbird Outlook..

About the mailserver thing, I could also donate my mailserver for this task, make you an account for it which you could use. No legal problems and very high speed server ;) (If you fear that my server could be offline sometime, just risk it and if my server should really happen to be offline sometime (maybe I die?) you can still stop notifications again or get another mail account somewhere else... )
CuteAlien wrote:At least unless there's something speaking against this (like making it easier for anyone to spam users).
This is actually the first board since like 5 years which I've met where email notification does NOT work. And I'm not even talking about small boards like this, I'm talking about really big ones, hundreds of thousands sometimes millions of registered users. I bet there is no spam problem (and I personally don't know any option either how to send spam) otherwise those big boards would have problems.

So if you don't want such a free email account I can donate one, then you only have to follow the SMTP setting manual with screenshots and you even have it done in 2 minutes. Probably much less than you already spent for posting here.

CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

NeWsOfTzzz wrote:That's not abusing, that's exactly what they're made for (and I've also seen a dozen of boards using free email accounts for notifications). They (GMX, Gmail) set up their SMTP-server so people can actually USE it with their mail clients like Thunderbird Outlook..
Yes, that's sort of exactly what I'm fearing. That they set it up that people use it with mail clients - not as mail-server for forums :-) And other boards ... yeah maybe ... but we still have to check. "Others did it also" is always a bad excuse if it turns out to be against some license. I already checked google for example and it explicitely forbids using the service in an automated way from scripts (and yes, I've already seen descriptions using it nevertheless for such tasks - but that does not make it look like a good option for us).
NeWsOfTzzz wrote: About the mailserver thing, I could also donate my mailserver for this task, make you an account for it which you could use.
Thanks for the offer. But while you seem like a nice guy, the truth is that I don't know anything about you. So nothing against you, but if we get a mailserver I would somehow prefer it to be from someone who we know a little bit ...
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

maybe you can use mine.
NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

CuteAlien wrote:But while you seem like a nice guy, the truth is that I don't know anything about you. So nothing against you, but if we get a mailserver I would somehow prefer it to be from someone who we know a little bit ...
We could phone a bit in German :oops: Then you will get to know me better :lol:

Otherwise use Virion's (I hope the server is not in Malaysia though).

Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

NeWsOfTzzz wrote: Otherwise use Virion's (I hope the server is not in Malaysia though)
the server is in malaysia lol. just curious, any problem with that?
NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

Virion wrote:just curious, any problem with that?
Ye, well, latency problems (400ms) but I forgot that is not a problem for a mail server (would be though for a webserver and other stuff).

So, sure, use his server and we can finally advance one step in forum evolution.. :)

Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Seriously, this topic is brought up every few months since I first came to the Irr boards. Just fix it already and let it be done for. It'd take friggin 5 minutes :?
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Dorth wrote:It'd take friggin 5 minutes :?
Did so far cost me already more than an hour and I haven't found more time yet for it. As written already above - using just open provider like gmail is not a solution because their terms do not allow that (and no - we can't just ignore that). Using Virion's server might be a solution maybe - if we get a sane mail-addresse that way and if it's not maybe against the rules of his provider etc.

Have to talk with others about it first, but no time for chatting atm. cause I have to work. Just be a little more patient, k?
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Now add phpBB and you might get to answer like:
Open relays are now things of the past thanks to the unthinking spammers out there. Therefore you are unlikely to find someone willing to offer you (free) services.
edit: Which means btw - you still find open smpt server - just that they are often blacklisted by other providers, so mails still won't get through.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

you can use a google smtp account.
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

CuteAlien wrote:I already checked google for example and it explicitely forbids using the service in an automated way from scripts (and yes, I've already seen descriptions using it nevertheless for such tasks - but that does not make it look like a good option for us).
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

CuteAlien wrote:Using Virion's server might be a solution maybe - if we get a sane mail-addresse that way and if it's not maybe against the rules of his provider etc.
He was talking about a dedicated server (at least I hope so and I was talking about one, too), the only rules some cheap "dumping price" providers apply are traffic rules, but notification emails are using like few megabytes each month... so that doesn't matter, really. Besides traffic rules the dedicated servers are fully under your legal control.

hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/source ... nnectivity

There's no way to send anything from the SF web servers besides webtraffic. We can stop the discussions here, it's simply impossible. And no, we won't host the forum elsewhere.
NeWsOfTzzz

Post by NeWsOfTzzz »

hybrid wrote:We can stop the discussions here, it's simply impossible. And no, we won't host the forum elsewhere.
No, we will not stop the discussion here, because it is NOT impossible!

I WILL circumvent this sh!t by writing a perl script, which will check this forum and threads regularly and will allow people to subscribe to threads/forums from OUTSIDE of this forum. It's not the first time I've done such a thing.

Then I'll put the link somewhere in this forum so other people can use it too. The only problem is that the perl script will generate some traffic, you can compare it to a GOOGLEbot spider. But since it's Sourceforge hosting, it doesn't matter much.