[READ] There's no such thing as 'Free Developers'

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
Nox

Post by Nox »

Well how many commerial and non-commercial gameprojects did you have finished? How many which are complexer than a tetris, pacman, spaceinvader etc.? I have not finished one so it seems to be that this discussion is nothing for guys like me who develop a bigger project as a hobby.
ariejan

Post by ariejan »

It really doesn't matter if you're working on a hobby project, the average commercial game or an AAA MMORPG.

The thing is that an AAA MMORPG probably has better funding than your hobby project. Still, there are critical issues with people who'll want to work for free.

I agree with grumpymonkey that people willing to work for free are either too inexperienced and will hinder your development. Especially if you're on a small team or hobby project, you just don't have time to take someone by the hand.

Bored people are gone the moment they find something more interesting to do. Again, small teams suffer the most from this.
Nox

Post by Nox »

Just to get your point: if i want to make a hobby project i should hire programers because free programers are most likely either too inexperienced or just bored? Is that right?
Or what would you do if you have a bigger hobbyproject and not the manpower to handle it alone?
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

I guess there are some points to keep in mind:

- if you have a big hobby project try program it with your friends. I think that people you know personally are more likely to stay with you than those you have found over e.g. the forums of a 3D engine
- try to keep it interesting. If you are the initiator of such a project you should be aware of the fact that most of the work is for you.

If you can't be sure to provide the points above think about downscaling your project.
Dustbin::Games on the web: https://www.dustbin-online.de/

Dustbin::Games on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dustbingames/
Dustbin::Games on twitter: https://twitter.com/dustbingames
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

If the person in example #1 can't find the self-motivation to work on their own projects to gain experience, then sadly they shouldn't be on the team. They'll slow it down in their attempts to learn. Let them work independently, then find team-based work.
you cant get experience by working with yourself since you'll be the one doing all the work. teams work together by making parts of the game, and regardless of how good a programmer you are, the game will suck if the team doesn't work together