Remaking the irrlicht's fairy

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
jotatsu

Post by jotatsu »

updated, "low poly" now (around 2.5k) textured to that point, below that is naked. UV still have some problems but is bearable .
Last edited by jotatsu on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Wow, this is looking really good! Excellent work
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

yep, great work. will improve the looks of the SDK examples a lot i guess.
xray

Post by xray »

By the way, is fairy the original mascot of irrlicht ?
jotatsu

Post by jotatsu »

xray wrote:By the way, is fairy the original mascot of irrlicht ?
No idea, i think irrlicht is will-o-wisp or something so maybe its the non-oficial mascot.

Okay updated, now its animated in a simple walk cycle , now all is in blender, body texture is done i think, have a normal map and a specular map are extra.

I need little extra help to mount it in irrlicht (got some weird effect with gandalf b3d exporter, and need to mount the normal and specular maps) and meanwhile im doing some new wings.
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

HI, Jotatsu!

Very Nice work! Do you still have the high poly version? I could take the high poly version and bake as much as I can into the low poly one.

The model would have most of the details of the high poly female into the low poly with ambiant occlusion added. I would like to try that if you still have the models.

If you want to try this yourself, you could use XNormal (As probably the tool that I would use to bake everything into a diffuse map)

EDIT: Seen and downloaded your model. It's not that much poly.

When loaded in 3DS, it got around 2900 faces, but a lot of vertexes (8900)
I've merged the vertexes (around 1500 vertices now) and moved the UV tile, (it was offset one tile)
I've baked everything (saw that you had Normal and Specular maps! Wow!) and added some kind of ambient occlusion into the texture.

Everything is baked in a diffuse map, so it should look better if you don't have shader to show them.

Here is the model, with the baked texture. The texture need only a little cleanup around the seams. It's using your same UV's so you can swap the diffuse map and see.

The modified model is in the archive here in OBJ format (Easy to work with IRRlicht and 3DS)
www.clavet.org/UserFiles/File/3DS%20model/Fairy.zip 4Mb Archive
jotatsu

Post by jotatsu »

Updated, thx christianclavet for the baked map, kinda help the diffuse only model.

Added wings, its in a separate material-uv in the b3d. Mounted all in irredit 1.5 and running directly in the load irr example. The rar also contain the original high res model and the ultrahigh res model with the armor details from wich i extracted the normal map.

Problems left to solve.

- The b3d model is not working with dynamic ilumination, my hint is that the normals are broken in the export process (i check them in blender and are ok).

- Model is not loading the textures properly, i manually adjust them in irredit.

- Some extra cleaning/detail in the texture.

- Trying to mount the normal map in irrlicht.

- Maybe eliminate the backface culling of the wings by code (not by irredit).

http://file.black-byte.com/Fairy.rar
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

If you have backface culling problems, just copy the polygons in the wing, and then flip them.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

the texture a bit dirty... i will try to clean it up.
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I love it!! Great work.

One question, is it going to be like in this picture with minor changes or shaders powered to look next-gen model? :wink:
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

i saw normal map and specular map in the package. i think they plan to do so mastergod.
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi, Jotatsu.

Can you check the vertices? They should be around 1500. If you have around 8900 vertices in your model, the it's possible that each faces are not attached to the other. (I had to weld the vertices on the B3D model in 3DS)

Can you load my OBJ model and check if the normals are ok?

Yes the normal and the specular maps are present, and if you have the hardware and shaders then the object will look even better.
JP

Post by JP »

Am I the only one who thinks the fairy looks like a dude...? :oops:
Image Image Image
m_krzywy

Post by m_krzywy »

JP wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the fairy looks like a dude...? :oops:
Yeah. She looks great :D
JP

Post by JP »

I see m_krzywy... ladyboys are your kinda thing eh? ;) heh

I think you misunderstood what I meant by dude... somehow... I meant her facial features are rather masculine...
Image Image Image