SIP - SimpleIrrPhysx

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
grumpymonkey

SIP - SimpleIrrPhysx

Post by grumpymonkey »

ImageImage
I was really bored so I decided to make a Nvidia Physx wrapper for Irrlicht...unfortunately my tiny little brain couldn't stand all constant crap being shoved into it, so I didn't figure out how to load meshes :(

But I did, on the other hand, make a (VERY)simple physx wrapper which just uses boxes and spheres(smgr->createBoxSceneNode(), etc..) with a REALLY simple API.
My goal wasnt it to make it feature rich(well actually it was my initial goal, but that changed when I failed to load meshes :roll: ), but to make it extremely easy to use. You don't even need to know anything about the Nvidia Physx SDK to use it, just be kinda familiar with Irrlicht.

This obviously cant be used for most game types, but if you want to make some sort of minigame or whatever this could be useful.

Download v0.1
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

this SHOULD work on any platform that supports both irrlicht and Nvidia Physx, but if your using anything other than Windows, you'll have to manually build the examples

you don't need to give me credit for this..its not that great, but just don't say you made it :)

btw, if anyone manages to add mesh loading for this I'd be happy to post it here and give you full credit.
Last edited by grumpymonkey on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
yamashi

Post by yamashi »

Well it's not the best way to do it imo...
You should take a look at irrPhysx and you will see that he doesn't need to use getNode() or anything like that because he uses inheritance (which is what irrlicht does as well).
wing64
Competition winner

Post by wing64 »

Great job grumpymonkey. Keep walking i will wait for next version of SIP.
Brkopac

Post by Brkopac »

yamashi wrote:Well it's not the best way to do it imo...
You should take a look at irrPhysx and you will see that he doesn't need to use getNode() or anything like that because he uses inheritance (which is what irrlicht does as well).
Inheritance isn't always the best way.
Image - The glory days.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

this is cool i'm looking forward to it!
JP

Post by JP »

Certainly sounds nice and simple for quickly getting set up for simple physics but have you looked at the Physx licence? I've got a feeling you're not allowed to hide away the Physx libraries from the user... though that sounds a bit odd to me know thinking about it because that's what the end user effectively does... maybe it was just the DLLs you can't hide away... or maybe i'm making it all up! :lol:
Image Image Image
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

crap I gotta look into that then o.o
JP

Post by JP »

Yeah there's certainly some important stuff to take into account there. I think you certainly need to credit Physx either in the application or readme file of any application using Physx... I put logos into all the apps of mine that use it but I don't think a logo is a necessity.
Image Image Image
aanderse

Post by aanderse »

you should always read the license first! (though iirc physx has pretty reasonable licensing for a split open source/proprietary license)
DeM0nFiRe

Post by DeM0nFiRe »

IIRC Physx says you need the logo in the opening splash screen, the logo in any about texts in the application AND a certain phrase in any documentation (That certain phrase is in the license, I forget what it was)
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

ok well I added a link to the license in a comment on the code, and I put the Physx By Nvidia logo up there.. Its a start, but I'll try to make it better by adding a download instead :\
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

ok I think I resolved the legal errors..hopefully I wont get sued :(

I added a download with source code and 2 examples with docs..

I'll try to add joints into the next version