Modeling Edgeflow and Detail

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Alpha Omega

Modeling Edgeflow and Detail

Post by Alpha Omega »

This is a new attempt at creating a human face with good edgeflow.

How is the edge flow? I feel like it is a good improvement from my last model. How should I go about adding detail?
B@z

Post by B@z »

transformers!
why is her mouth is in that deep?
there isnt that big hole in a human face
xray

Post by xray »

I would recommend you to check this video tutorial:

http://www.blendercookie.com/2010/01/28 ... -the-head/

Im also not very much into head modeling, but yours looks really strange to me... Adding more details would only make sense if your head "edgeflow" is constructed correctly.
Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

I noticed a made a few mistakes with 6 sided stars so I went back and remodeled it trying to keep good edge flow in mind.

Edge flow loops are continuous throughout with no 6 sided stars. What exactly determines "good edgeflow"?
roelor

Post by roelor »

If it looks good (with shading) it should have a good edgeflow. Anyway I think your model has its neck too much forward. Also your model doesn't seem to have a jaw. Also the top of the head is too triangular, try moving the top vertex a bit down and the side vertexes (top left top right) a bit to the center and a bit more down. also move the middle part of the chin a bit up.
Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

Thanks for your suggestions. I understand what you mean by "edgeflow". I was thinking there was a specific technique but its just removing all the dis-continuous edges and allow the model to "flow". Anyway this is what I got now.

roelor

Post by roelor »

I still dont think the jaw's quite right, Try feeling your own jaw, since you're a human you should be able to determin the edges under your chin. Its like this the front of your head is mounted on your neck. its like you have a bend pole with a bit bigger head on it (You can see in the front view, it should have an edgy part somewhere under the ear.

p.s. You still need to fix the chin.
Steel Style

Post by Steel Style »

I would give an advice : try with less egdes and face and to foloow the tutorial cause your edge flow is not good enough actually.
Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

Steel Style wrote:I would give an advice : try with less egdes and face and to foloow the tutorial cause your edge flow is not good enough actually.
I am not following a tutorial because I couldn't find any. Could you give me an example of how my edge flow is bad please?
xray

Post by xray »

I am not following a tutorial because I couldn't find any.
Did you skip my post ? In my last post I gave you a link, and if you check the model tutorial section on this page you will find alot more video tutorials about human head modeling.
Alpha Omega

Post by Alpha Omega »

xray wrote: Did you skip my post ? In my last post I gave you a link, and if you check the model tutorial section on this page you will find alot more video tutorials about human head modeling.
Thanks didn't see that other part before.
:D
Ulf

Post by Ulf »

@xray That is an awesome video tutorial. Thanks. I think I can learn to apply those concepts.

I am not a designer or modeler but after watching this video I understand edgeflow and to some extent the placement of poles. Starting simple and building complexity.

I can see a vast difference between the flow of Alpha Omega's model and the one in the video. Also, the size of the quads is more consistent and not too large in any area. Alpha Omega has some very large quads on the side and top of the head.

Alpha Omegas curves don't flow so much even though they continue. They change too sharply.
I can hear birds chirping
:twisted:

I live in the Eye of Insanity.
lostclimategames

Post by lostclimategames »

definately better than your last model by a lot, but still needs work. good to see you took advice and are working on it, after a little while, i think you'll be really proud of what you can produce.

keep up the work.