XEffects - Reloaded - New Release (V 1.4)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Insomniacp

Post by Insomniacp »

have you downloaded video card drivers? and installed directx 9?
Murloc992

Post by Murloc992 »

No I didn't -_-

Of course I did.. I got newest video card drivers and latest DirectX9 available to my machine and by the way I can use DirectX9 to launch any example, I can't launch it using OpenGL.
SHCODER

Post by SHCODER »

Hello everybody. can explain why my application with the program separate XEffects normally works on nvidia 9500 but an error on the radeon x1300? be like that to get rid of?
Im from Syberia :) po anglicki malo malo spikat' umeyu
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

What is the error? Try to use a screen resolution and shadow map resolution of 512x512 and disable 32-bit depth maps and tell me if it works.

Cheers
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
etal2009

Post by etal2009 »

Hello.

When running my application, I get 'unhadled exception at 0x6967b197 in Project.exe: 0xC0000005: ....' The line it stops at is 'screenrtt = driver->addrendertargettexture(screenrttsize)' in effecthandler.cpp. ScreenRTTSize, when i try to check its value says: 'error:expression cannot be evaluated.'

Am I doing anything wrong? Should i try different resolutions?
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

Are there plans to incorporate this feature set into Irrlicht for 1.8? That would be amazing.
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

There are certainly rumors about it.
But I don't believe it, that would be too awesome :lol:
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
Bate

Post by Bate »

Indeed. Actually, I've never understood why not everything cool and useful (irrext, xeffects, some custom scenenode and several nice snippets that are floating around) gets integrated into Irrlicht. I can't see any disadvantages in doing so; or is it simply too much of an effort?
Never take advice from someone who likes to give advice, so take my advice and don't take it.
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

It's true. Irrlicht has an active community; why not incorporate their work into Irrlicht itself? Most of it is done at a higher level where you wouldn't need to even change much of the existinc source around.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I guess this starts to head into off-topic discussions here, so just a few quick answers: We haven't had any request from anyone to join the irrext project so far, besides from those who are members right now. If anyone wants to maintain his own or other extensions under the irrext tree it would be quite easy. But apparently no one really cares.
Adding each and every extension into the core library right away will immediately render its maintainability to void. There's no chance to keep the engine maintainable, and very soon also not usable anymore. Much of the submitted code is only tested for very few situations, if at all. The coding style is not kept, the API extensions are mostly ad-hoc. Some just require to expose the whole internals of the engine to the user - WTF!?
As you can see right now, BlindSide needs much time and effort to include XEffects-like extensions to Irrlicht in a proper way. I don't know which parts of the current extension don't fit into Irrlicht, basically because I've never even looked at XEffects code at all. But I assume that BlindSide knows how to find a good integration.
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

I completely understand the need for good integration, careful choice of what's included in the engine, and high standards for what's accepted into the engine. I'm aware XEffects isn't ready to be instantly inserted into Irrlicht - I'm just saying that generic post-processing support would be an awesome improvement to the engine that a lot of us would love to see.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Infact the system I'm including is almost completely different and doesn't look anything like XEffects. I hope to finish it in the coming mid-year break after university exams.
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

It's taken me a while to get around to it but I finally integrated this package into my IrrlichtWrapper. The interface is very easy to use, It only took an evening to get it all up and running, and to implement the examples in the Basic language.

Thanks very much for this package Blindside the Dynamic Shadows in particular are fantastic and add a rendered look to an otherwise basic scene. Your work on this is very much appreciated.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

It's an honor to be included in a 4 year old project :D Interested to see any examples you come up with
Frank Dodd

Post by Frank Dodd »

Thanks for that.

Here is a quick composite of my tests using good old Zumlin model from Rowan Crawford, a quick temple structure I knocked together in Blender and some quality models from IvanPxxx. It shows off your Shadow mapping, SSAO and the Water shader that look terrific, I put together a very simple animated water sequence in the gimp its a bit too tiled but it does demonstrate applying animated water fairly well. If anyone has a use for them they are welcome to them of course.