ComineGL: Game Library for Learning Programming in C/C++

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

Radikalizm wrote:
wahagn wrote: Maybe it could be a bit like the irrlicht demo but then you walk trhoug another map(so not that demo castle) where you can have different guns pick up some 3d objects (like guns and health packages) and you can shoot so it actually is an FPS game but without A.I, Phisx and there is no point ( I mean you just walk schoot but you can't do anything else) . Maybe you use a lot of time on making the demo but it is in my eyes very important that people get enthusiastic and see what the library can do.
You do realize that you need some form of collision detection (read: physics) to implement picking up stuff, walking around, shooting, etc., right?

I really think that it'd be best for you to take the time to learn the language and the irrlicht library, because right now what you're doing is the same as wanting to build a car by asking other people to build all the parts and stuff which make the car a car, while you just put in the screws to hold everything together and call it your own

a game can be very complex, and I don't think it's an engine's job to provide all in-game elements (like inventory boxes), an engine should just provide you the tools to build these things yourself

But in the end nothing is stopping you from taking this route, I just don't believe you'll actually learn anything by it, nor will you gain any real game developing experience

Just my two cents ;)

Yeah actually you're right I didn't think about that if you make it you will need phisx but as I said it was just a sugggestion it can also be a more simple app, maybe somone else can come up with other suggestions/ideas
“Any code of your own that you haven’t looked at for six or more months might as well have been written by someone else.”
(Eagleson’s Law)
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

btw: devetc, did you already check out the logo i made for you? do you like it?
“Any code of your own that you haven’t looked at for six or more months might as well have been written by someone else.”
(Eagleson’s Law)
sudi

Post by sudi »

Hey your idea is not bad at all.
But one thing that seams a little stupid to me is the way you create stuff. Your create methods require an id value. I think it would be better practice if they would return a correct id (>0) when the creation was succesfull. of course you could still pass your own id wish as an optional last parameter. But yeahl that seams better to me incase projects might get a little bigger than expected.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
devetc

Post by devetc »

wahagn wrote:I can't follow what your saying but my question was for getting rid of the CMD screen and I think you were talking about something else
Hello Wahagn,

I guess I did not understand your question. To remove the console window, you need to build a windows application with a WinMain for windows.

The following code demonstrates this:

Code: Select all

#include <windows.h>
#include <ComineGL/COmineGL.h>

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
int CALLBACK WinMain(HINSTANCE,HINSTANCE,LPSTR,int)
	{
	CGLInit(400,400,false);
	CGLNodeLoadCube(1,200);
	CGLNodeLoadCameraFPS(0);
	CGLGameLoop();
	return 0;
	}

It is a good idea not to do this until your final release. You can do this irrlicht engine too.

Remember, you can always switch to full screen with

CGLInit(400,400,true);
or

CGLEngine engine(400,400,32,true);
Hope, I answered your question correctly this time.

wahagn wrote: btw: devetc, did you already check out the logo i made for you? do you like it?
The logo looks pretty good. But, the library name is called ComineGL.

I am sorry for not replying quickly, but I am very busy at work. I will try to catch up over the weekend.

-devetc
devetc

Post by devetc »

Hello All,

Is there a any physics engine that you think would be good to be integrated with the ComineGL library api. ComineGL is under GPL 3.0.

Suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

-devetc
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

devetc wrote:Hello All,

Is there a any physics engine that you think would be good to be integrated with the ComineGL library api. ComineGL is under GPL 3.0.

Suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

-devetc

I think this physics engine is pretty good, it has a lot features and it's free to use it in commercial products ( BSD license ):
http://www.tokamakphysics.com/index.htm
Last edited by wahagn on Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Eagleson’s Law)
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

bullet is also free to use(even in commercial projects), license:zlib
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

serengeor wrote:bullet is also free to use(even in commercial projects), license:zlib
Bullet (and the zlib) license are the way to go. Zlib (the same license used by Irrlicht) basically says, "Do whatever you want, just don't take credit for our work." It's one of the most open licenses out there.
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

serengeor wrote:bullet is also free to use(even in commercial projects), license:zlib
slavik262 wrote:
Bullet (and the zlib) license are the way to go. Zlib (the same license used by Irrlicht) basically says, "Do whatever you want, just don't take credit for our work." It's one of the most open licenses out there.

So two Bullet + zlib license fans :twisted: 8) :roll:

BTW: I'm just kidding.. it's not that I hate bullet or anything like that
(Eagleson’s Law)
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

Also I think bullet is by far the most easy to integrate physics engine into irrlicht 8)

I've tried PhysX, ODE, Newton, tokamak, but none of them was as easy to integrate as bullet.
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

serengeor wrote:Also I think bullet is by far the most easy to integrate physics engine into irrlicht 8)

I've tried PhysX, ODE, Newton, tokamak, but none of them was as easy to integrate as bullet.
Maybe devetc should make a poll out of this question ?

Btw: I think then the most of us will choose either for Bullet or Newton
(Eagleson’s Law)
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

BTW: @ devetc: I hav an oftopic question:
How long did it take you to make the game library, I mean from the moment you started at this project to the 0.12 realease so not the time this fotumtopic is going on??
(Eagleson’s Law)
devetc

Post by devetc »

wahagn wrote:BTW: @ devetc: I hav an oftopic question:
How long did it take you to make the game library, I mean from the moment you started at this project to the 0.12 realease so not the time this fotumtopic is going on??
Hello Wahagn,

A lot of the code is spliced together from other projects that I have worked on. I always find the hardest part of programming is getting a good idea. But, once you get the idea, I think of coding is just a mechanical implementation of the idea. The fundamental idea for this project took me a really long time!!!

I do not know how to measure how much time I have spent on the project. Last month I had more time then this month.

I did check out the Bullet engine a bit and recompiled it. I still have to check out the Newton, Tokomak,...

-devetc
wahagn

Post by wahagn »

@devetc:
You were saying that you're working on intergrating phisx into the game library and I have a suggestion for that:

Why not intergrate some phisx and easy methods to use it but also
give people the opportunity to intergrate some phisx or A.I theirselves in a not very difficult way ( this way they can still use the phisx engine they like and have some fun with doing something theirselves by intergrating it in the game library)

But I don't know how difficult it is to make something like that or how much time you will have to spend to make it,... so I neither know if it's a good or bad idea :?:
(Eagleson’s Law)
macron12388

Post by macron12388 »

wahagn wrote:@devetc:
You were saying that you're working on intergrating phisx into the game library and I have a suggestion for that:

Why not intergrate some phisx and easy methods to use it but also
give people the opportunity to intergrate some phisx or A.I theirselves in a not very difficult way ( this way they can still use the phisx engine they like and have some fun with doing something theirselves by intergrating it in the game library)

But I don't know how difficult it is to make something like that or how much time you will have to spend to make it,... so I neither know if it's a good or bad idea :?:
What I am getting is that you want to provide a generic physics library interface so that the user can integrate their preferred physics engine?
In order for that idea to take off, you guys would have to set some strict standards so everything is compatible across multiple engines.

This seems like a really tricky thing to pull off though, and if you are going to put this much work into something like this you might as well just do it yourself for your game or work on becoming more proficient in advanced low level programming, beating around the bush won't really help, someone somewhere will still have to do all the work.