Irrlicht 1.4 GP2x Caanoo

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
phillip

Irrlicht 1.4 GP2x Caanoo

Post by phillip »

Hello All I am a proud owner of all the Game Park Holdings consoles from the GP2X F-100/F-200 to the wiz and caanoo. While searching the net for a version of irrlicht for the caanoo and wiz I was unable to find one. Thanks to Grz's and his work on the gp2x F-100/F-200 port of irrlicht 1.4 found here, http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/t ... icht-port/ I was able to build a new version for the GP2X Caanoo. I used Code::blocks and the Official GP2X Caanoo Win32 SDK and toolchain. Most of the work was done by Grz already for the Gp2x F-100. All i did was build a version for the Caanoo. I'm now working on building a version for the Wiz. These two version are using the software rendering done by irrlicht. Also soon as I get the Wiz build up and running I'll post the project here just need to find a free file hosing site, any suggestions is most appreciated. It would be nice to see a update to this using the newest version of irrlicht along with OpenGLES support because the Caanoo and the wiz do have support for it.

Codeblocks http://www.codeblocks.org/
GP2X Win32 SDK http://lostsite.altervista.org/wiz/?p=2675
Grz's GP2xF-100/F200 port I'm currently using http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/t ... icht-port/

ScreenShot
Irrlicht 1.4 Hello World Demo running in software rendering mode on the Game Park Holdings Caanoo

Update 04 July 2011

Hello all I decided to upload the my irlicht1.4 caanoo project file along with irrlicht Hello world example binary files, I'm still having some problem with the Wiz version. Maybe someone with any of these consoles and better knowledge of porting, may be able to get a performance boost on the consoles and get it to run on the latest version of irrlicht or even better get OpenGLES running before I do. Thank you guys and gals, and good-luck to anyone who is taking on this challenge. I will continue to work on this and post any updates here.

irrlicht Hello world demo build for the caanoo
http://www.mediafire.com/?q8y0ywy7rtqtb39

Irrlicht_1.4 codebloacks project for the caanoo
http://www.mediafire.com/?np4vxabybh2059y

Update 05 July 2011

Finally Got irrlicht running on the GP2X wiz. performance is the same as the caanoo 11-20 FPS on irrlicht software rendering. Now on to OPENGLES integration.

irrlicht Hello world demo build for the WIZ
http://www.mediafire.com/?61bh219tjv70r7f

ScreenShot
Irrlicht 1.4 Hello World Demo running in software rendering mode on the Game Park Holdings Wiz
Last edited by phillip on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheMrCerebro
Competition winner

Re: Irrlicht 1.4 GP2x Caanoo

Post by TheMrCerebro »

Nice!
I'll buy a Caanoo soon and knowing handle well Irrlich I am thrilled to have her.
If necessary, I could put 100% to create a port of the latest version of Irrlicht (when i finish other projects I'm making).
PD: The problem ... the "toolchain" very difficult if you use windows. :?
Follow me on twitter: @themrcerebro
Burns

Post by Burns »

Good , hand console with irrlicht app :D
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

@phillip: How about the performance? Is it any good?

For free file hosing site I use MediaFire ( http://www.mediafire.com/ ).
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
phillip

Post by phillip »

shadowslair wrote:@phillip: How about the performance? Is it any good?

For free file hosing site I use MediaFire ( http://www.mediafire.com/ ).
HI shadowslair i notice the FPS is not clear in the image sorry about that.
Here is the performance so far using EDT_SOFTWARE rendering I get 18-20 FPS and using EDT_BURNINGSVIDEO I get a steady 11FPS on the caanoo.
but I'm sure performance could be better using openGLES and some optimizations I think, I could be wrong. both the caanoo and the wiz are running on a 533Mhz CPU and a 3D GPU and can also be overclocked. Below are spec for both the wiz and caanoo.

Also thank you for the file hosting link i'll upload the projects there as soon as I get the wiz running. Maybe someone with better experience with irrlicht could get some better performance on Wiz or Caanoo and maybe Get OpenGLES running.

Caanoo Specs
SoC (System on a Chip): MagicEyes Pollux VR3520F
CPU: ARM926EJ 533 MHz embedded on SoC (architecture version ARMv5TEJ)
GPU: 3D hardware engine embedded on SoC (OpenGL ES 1.1 support)
3D performance: 133M Texel/s and 1,33M Polygon/s
main RAM: 128 Mbytes DDR SDRAM 133 MHz (peak memory bandwidth: 533 Mbytes/s)
video buffer: about 16 Mbytes of main RAM are reserved for the video/texture information
Operating System: GNU/Linux based
Flash memory: None (128 Mbytes reserved to the OS)
Connection to PC: USB 2.0 High Speed through EXT Port
USB Host: USB 1.1 standard socket
Supports SD / SDHC memory cards (up to 32 Gigabytes)
G-Sensor/Vibration Motor
High precision analog stick
Display: 3.5 inch LCD 320×240 pixel (resistive touchscreen)
Stereo audio DAC: Wolfson Microelectronics WM1800
Embedded Microphone and stereo Loudspeakers
Power: Internal 1850mAh Lithium Polymer Battery (approx. 5/6 hours game/video playback)
Dimensions : 146 (w) × 70 (h) × 18.5 (d) mm
Weight : 136g
WiFi via adapter

WIZ Specs
Chipset: MagicEyes Pollux System-on-a-Chip VR3520F
CPU: 533 MHz ARM926TEJ (overclockable to 900 MHz, however the system can become unstable over 750 MHz)
NAND Flash Memory: 1 GB
RAM: DDR SDRAM 64 MB
Operating System: GNU/Linux-based OS
Storage: SD Card (SDHC support)
Connection to PC: USB 2.0 High Speed
USB Host: USB 1.1
Power: Internal 2000mAh Lithium Polymer Battery (approx. 7 hours game/video playback)
Display: 320x240 2.8-inch (71 mm) AMOLED Touch Screen
Stereo audio DAC: Cirrus Logic 43L22
Embedded Microphone
Physical size: 121 mm (4.8") wide, 61 mm (2.4") high, 18 mm (0.7") deep
Weight: 98 g (without battery), 136 g (with battery)
3D Acceleration (GPU embedded on Pollux)
Chipset supports OpenGL ES 1.1
133M Texel/sec, 1.33M Polygon/sec
lpersona

Post by lpersona »

18fps for one single lowpoly model... :?
but it's a first step. irrlicht's software modes are of not much use on pcs either (based on my experience)
fmx

Post by fmx »

Have you tried updating to a more recent version of irrlicht yet?
irrlicht 1.4 is a little redundant now, you would need to upgrade if you want to get the best performance and an easier time using the GLES driver
phillip

Post by phillip »

fmx wrote:Have you tried updating to a more recent version of irrlicht yet?
irrlicht 1.4 is a little redundant now, you would need to upgrade if you want to get the best performance and an easier time using the GLES driver
Hi fmx

Since I have irrlicht running on the caanoo and wiz. My goal is now moving to the newest version of irlicht. I first wanted to see if it was possible to get irrlicht running on the both consoles using this available port.
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

Looking forward to see what the performance will be with the GLES driver. Hopefully it`ll improve it to a useable level. :)
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
Grz-

Post by Grz- »

Nice to see Irrlicht on theses handleds. :D
Radikalizm

Post by Radikalizm »

How much do these devices go for these days? I remember looking them up a while ago because the idea of being able to develop for a handheld platform was rather intriguing, but I believe the price and availability issues kind of put me off the idea

I believe it would be doable to write a game with this with GLES support
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

You can get a PSP fat(the first generation - they can be hacked so you can run homebrew software on them) for about 100 €, but i'm not sure if anyone got irrlicht working on it..?
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

ent1ty wrote:but i'm not sure if anyone got irrlicht working on it..?
SG57 developed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x7KJ3Qpvd4 which won some first place. There`re also a few other users. I believe they all use the so called LTE Enigne, which is some (shameless) modded Irrlicht rip-off AFAIK. Here you can get a second hand PSP (fat) for less than 50 euro, depending on the condition and how you enchant the seller. But as PSP tends to be dying, no matter what the sony guys do and IIRC you cannot develop games to make a living for it without license from sony, it`s not that frequently looked at. Don`t get me wrong- I really like the PSP, but if I wanted to develop games for a handheld, I`d choose some of the many other available options, just my 2 cents.
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

Ah right yeah i thought you wanted to develop for a handheld just as a hobby, that's why i suggested psp(i think there still is a quite large community)
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!