Centaur Force

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki

What type of music should be in Centaur Force?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:35 pm

Chanting (Halo Like)
No votes
Metal Rock
63%
Classical
13%
Anything the user wants
25%

Total votes: 8

Robomaniac

Centaur Force

Post by Robomaniac »

Just moving the Centaur Force thread to Project Announcements. The old thread is still at http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... .php?t=412 . Anyway, i still am looking for a texture-er (or whatever they're called, and anyone else that thinks they could help.

-- The Robomaniac

Also added the new poll updating every week on Thursday
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Well, after consulting with keless and some other people, i decided i'm going to completely rewrite the game (2nd time). This is to better structure the code and make coding in general easier. So, with that said, new demos won't be out for a while but i will be posting screenies as i go.

-- The Robomaniac
:shock: :shock: :shock:

big eyes :-P
DarkWhoppy

Post by DarkWhoppy »

Hey man I'm having to do the same for Galactic Racer. It isn't too bad. . . but does suck. Slowing down the dev process and I have less and less time each day to work on it. But, now that I have a job I can finally save some mon-ay to upgrade my PC. :roll:
Programmer of the Irrlicht Scene Editor:
Homepage - Forum Thread
Version 2 on its way!!
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Well, i truly havn't had anytime to really sit down and code, but its slowly coming. In the mean time, i've made a new website (to be moved to a new server soon) @ www.geocities.com/centaurforce . It is still incomplete, but the rest will be up this weekend hopefully.

-- The Robomaniac

btw. I am still looking for a skinner to do some weapons for me. Real life, nothing too special. PM or AIM me if interested (aim sreComp9981)

edit : stupid me, i spelled the link wrong, this one will work now
Last edited by Robomaniac on Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
Robomaniac

Poll

Post by Robomaniac »

I can't seem to find the elusive "Add a new Poll" button, so i'm just going to do it here.

Should I add Vehicle Support to Centaur Force?

Yes
No
Maybe
The Robomaniac
Centaur Force
keless

Post by keless »

Maybe -- get your core stuff running first (weapons fire, damage, etc).

Just keep it in mind so that you dont code yourself into a corner. The reason not to do it just yet is that its kind of complex. It requires very large levels to begin with, and the automatic snapping/releasing of coordinate systems which is hard to do right.
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS
qwe

Post by qwe »

build the foundation first, not the house :D meaning, get the base code done, and then worry about vehicle support
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Just a quick update, i've been chugging slowly along w/ the rewrite, but i havn't had much time to work on it, but now i have a bit of time off school, so i'm hoping I can get most of the rewrite done by the time i get back.

-- The Robomaniac
The Robomaniac
Centaur Force
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Whipped up a quick logo for centaur force (nothing too special :-P)

Last edited by Robomaniac on Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Robomaniac
Centaur Force
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Well, i finished (basically) my Menu's this weekend, so no true screenshots to show, but you can see a primitive "server browser" in the shots section of my website. no, unfortunately those numbers aren't real, they're thanks to the lovely rand() function, but they will be real soon enough.
The Robomaniac
Centaur Force
Robomaniac

Project Moving

Post by Robomaniac »

Well, after much deliberation, I have decided to formally move Centaur Force to Ogre. I have been working w/ it for about a week now, and it seems to be perfect for what I need. Its nothing personal against Irrlicht, its just that Ogre is more advanced for my needs now, and no offence, just looks better than Irrlicht. For now at least. I will definately keep looking at this forum, and homepage, to see how the engine advances, and will most likely use it in an upcoming project. I will still be around here helping people that i can, and stuff like that. So, this is my semi goodbye to the engine, at least for now.

And an example of something i whipped up in Ogre to show quality differences

Ogre --> http://www.geocities.com/centaurforce/screenshot_1.jpg

Irrlicht --> http://www.geocities.com/centaurforce/shotgun.JPG

Thanks to everyone for you help, it will all definately come in handy.
The Robomaniac
Centaur Force
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

After a lot of thought and work, i have decided to move Centaur Force back to Irrlicht, at least until version 1.0. I still have a lot to learn with Ogre, and need to improve my programming a lot before i can make a full game in Ogre. After 1.0, i might move Centaur Force to Ogre, but for now at least, i'm sticking with Irrlicht.
The Robomaniac
Centaur Force
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hm, interesting. I knew why I didn't remove Centaur Force from the link page. :))

Post by Guest »

Robomaniac: it's a kind of storming - I know this.
A little advice: think a lot before write a single line of code. No offence it really helps. I mean, firtst try to determine how your project will look like:
1. Technical tasks.
2. GUI (according to 1)
3. Development stuff...

Development stuff doesn't mean coding - it means some kind of the following
1. Project structure (project modules). This is according to project's technical tasks
2. Interfaces (modules' intercommunication)
3. Step-by-step realisation. This means that you have to pioritize your tasks and make some "core-tasks". This is a set of tasks that can maintain your project's basic functionality.
4. General class structure

Try to spend time on this "bullshit" and you won't have to "rewtrite your code" anymore.

One more advice: if you have any doubt how to implement some feature - first of all take a look how the others do this (or ask them directly). This is VERY necessary because:
1. You save a lot of time
2. One guru-programmer said that if you write your best code then you, by definition, has not enough skill to debug it. (it means also "to assess" it ;))

Lats thing: the worst thing you can do with code is to rewrite it completely...
there is another guest...
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Guest wrote: 2. One guru-programmer said that if you write your best code then you, by definition, has not enough skill to debug it. (it means also "to assess" it ;))
That's one of the most sensible things I've heard about programming.