Adding glow

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
AndreOdendaal

Adding glow

Post by AndreOdendaal »

Hey Guys (and now for my second question),

How do I create glows and halos? I'd like to put an eldritch or holy glow around a mesh. Must I use a shader or is there some other way? I'm been trying to make circles that are blurred and then adding them as textures to the mesh but I want the glow to extend beyond the boundaries of the mesh.

I'd also like to have the glowing health bar used in Galactic Dream (Just the Irrlicht projects) but I have how to achieve that nice glowly transparent effect.

Any ideas?
Conquistador

Post by Conquistador »

Spintz's engine has a particle emitter for meshes, it could easily be used to create the effect you're looking for.
Royal Hamilton Light Infantry - http://www.rhli.ca
Paris/Port Dover Pipes'n Drums - http://www.parisdover.ca
krama757

Post by krama757 »

How about a billboard centered around the player? You can add a transparency to the billboard and go from there.

I believe this is how WoW does effects like frost armor :) (Try looking at the player from the top and you will see the billboard)
AndreOdendaal

Post by AndreOdendaal »

actually, that's not a bad idea! :D simple yet effective.

Is it possible to have animated billboards?
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

sure, use a texture animator like in the demo, or if you want to use one texture, copy CBillboardSceneNode.cpp/h and make your animated billboard node by adjusting the texture coords in realtime, like in Emil's 2d sprite class or my mariokart billboards
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room