How do I make an engine?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.

How do I make an engine?

Post by Guest »

I know this is probably a hard thing to answer in a small post, but please give me some starting help... I want to make a 2d game to start with.. And also, how do I make the program/game respond as soon as the user presses a key, not just when they press a key and then enter, like in the cin command...
Christian

Post by Christian »

go to the FAQ section, you will find the input thing you are looking for.
there is a tutorial for making 2d graphics on the main site also.
well, are you tring to do a 3d engine like irrlicht? or you mean a game engine?
c0p5g4

Post by c0p5g4 »

heh, it was me starting the thread, I thought I was logged in...
Anyway, I'm trying to do a game engine.. I'm pretty new at programming, so I don't understand much really.. I just understand things in my fat book, but nothing in the book give me any clues how to do anything else than DOS apps... I guess I have to buy a new book or something,..
I'm the best there is! I can make textbased games!!! haha!!

Post by Guest »

do you plan do make a game engine alone and without much experience of c++ and opengl or directx api? i wouldnt do it :? its too much for you to handle, believe me. ok try it, i dont say that it is impossible, but if you dont have much experience it will be very hard...i tried it by myself :roll: (btw: i canceled after 3-4 days *g* ) but why do you even want to make an own engine? irrlicht is very easy to use and is good, too. if 0.7 is out it will be even better 8)
Christian

Post by Christian »

if you are new, i recommend leaving irrlicht for a while and start with Game Maker 5.0, later learn c++ and come back to irrlicht :)
Romul

Post by Romul »

..nothing in the book give me any clues how to do anything else than DOS apps... I guess I have to buy a new book or something,..
Thats a good start but you need to learn some C++ THEN IrrLicht's API.
Theres lots of tutorials online, use google and be patient, you'll get there in the end. :)
Or do what I do and mess around and break stuff until you get the hang of it :D

Just my 0.2c
-Romul
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

If you don't know the concepts or how to program:

Win32 API
Linux API
DirectX or OpenGL
Complex Hierarchy's
A lot of STL
Polymorphism
Abstraction
3D Math
Etc.

Don't even concider creating your own engine, stick w/ premade ones, an learn the concepts and the skills first
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force

Post by Guest »

try using irrlicht rather than creating your own engine ;)
it already has input & graphics covered saving you from having to deal with that entirely yourself.

If you still want to write your own engine you will probably want the dirctX SDK and something like c++ :wink:
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

pray

perhaps someday the 3d engine gods will bless you with a haze of divine 3d code and an engine will be born form the entrails of your brain.

then you make it open source... and we have fun :D

I agree with Robo and the rest. Start by learning an existing engine, then learn some deep programming, then go back to the same engine. Once you start seeing the world as greenish dots and bits you're ready. Or perhaps one night while John Carmack's sleeping his soul gets lost and you may steal it.

dunno

but it's definitely tough